Protecting Camera from hotel to water entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Sea Hunt Fan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Protecting Camera from hotel to water entry.

I just started using a Sea & Sea MDX D300 with a dome port and dual strobes for my Nikon. I usually dive off commercial dive boats and stay at resorts where there is often some ground transportation required. In the past, I used a collapsible cooler bag to transport my Nikonos system and I am looking for something similar for my new Sea & Sea system when transporting it from the hotel to the dive site. Also, I am not comfortable letting this system bob around in the typical dive boat “ Camera Can ”, I never left my Nikonos unattended but it was a smaller setup and I am interested in any tips /tricks to insure the protection of the larger camera setup.

Thanks

I use a cooler from American Outdoors. The 48 can one. Great protection and you can use it for its own rinse tank at the end of the day. Very convenient for local diving.
Bill

That's kinda what I use also....Though I got mine at Wallyworld for 10 bucks....Folds flat to stuff in the outside pocket of the suitcase....

On the road I just hold on to my camera, using the camera tank on the boat just to rinse off. Then I wrap it in a towel and try to keep it near me and out of the sun as much as possible till I can properly rinse it back at the room. At home on the Jersey boats I use a 5 gallon spackle bucket w/lid from Home Depot filled with fresh water as my own personal camera bucket. A bit heavy but well worth it. It keeps salt from drying on your rig and it offers protection from being knocked around.

On holidays/vacations, we treat it like we would a kid... maybe a bit better. We usually rent a car, so it gets a seat in the back (on a towel) and just gets hand-held to and from the dive boat, or shore dive. On dive boats, there's rarely enough room to bring it in its own cooler. Depending on the group on the boat or the staff, I might use the rinse tank, or I wait until I can rinse it back at the room.

At home, bvanant nailed it, I use a Coleman cooler to haul it around in and then fill it for a rinse/soak at the end of the day/diving. Best idea I've seen so far.

Hope that helps.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom