Protecting and maintaining my new canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kamaros

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took advantage of some Black Friday deals to upgrade to my first canister light (a Light Monkey 10-32VF). Since it arrived in a simple cardboard box without any accompanying case or manual, I had a few questions for more experienced can light owners about how to protect and maintain the light:

1) How are you transporting the light to/from dive sites? I used to carry my old light in a salt-stained backpack alongside some other potentially damp items like my compass and backup computer, but I'm not sure if that still makes sense now that I have all this extra hose to deal with.
2) Apart from regular pre/post-dive maintenance (fresh water rinse, o-ring lubrication), is there any sort of additional regular maintenance you're supposed to perform?
3) Are there any recommended procedures for storage? (eg. keeping the battery mostly charged vs discharged, etc)
4) Any other general tips?

Thanks!

I have been using my Light Monkey light for over 10 years now.

I put a beverage koozy over the light head. Nearly 1/2" of foam insulation will protect the light head from bumps.

I never kink the cord.

It gets tossed in the bin with everything else, or the dive bag with everything else, as it's the toughest piece of kit in the lot.

Post dive, I immediately rinse and put on the charger until a few days later when I dive again.

Absolutely the most reliable thing I own. I don't baby it with its own case, as it's tougher than the case.

It's been perfect. Over the decade + I've replaced the cord a couple of times, and the switch once. I have a bag of spares for it I've been carrying around forever, because nothing on this light breaks.

You're going to love it!

-Ken

As Mo2Vation said, they're pretty durable.

Don't kink the cord. Know that that's a wear and tear item and will likely need replacement every few years depending on use.

DO NOT store the light full for extended duration. Charge it the day before the dive if you can.

Ensure the o-ring is clear of debris/hair whenever you pop the latch.

Plug the charger into the wall, THEN into the light.

I took advantage of some Black Friday deals to upgrade to my first canister light (a Light Monkey 10-32VF). Since it arrived in a simple cardboard box without any accompanying case or manual, I had a few questions for more experienced can light owners about how to protect and maintain the light:

1) How are you transporting the light to/from dive sites? I used to carry my old light in a salt-stained backpack alongside some other potentially damp items like my compass and backup computer, but I'm not sure if that still makes sense now that I have all this extra hose to deal with.
2) Apart from regular pre/post-dive maintenance (fresh water rinse, o-ring lubrication), is there any sort of additional regular maintenance you're supposed to perform?
3) Are there any recommended procedures for storage? (eg. keeping the battery mostly charged vs discharged, etc)
4) Any other general tips?

Thanks!

Same as the others. It just gets thrown in the box with the other gear. Keep the o-ring and sealing surface clean and it'll be good to go for years.

Sounds obvious, but don't carry the battery canister by the cord - I see this more often than you'd believe.

Inspect the switch boot and cord regularly and replace either if it's looking tatty.

Store the battery at about 60% when not using it for any extended period, don't store it fully charged.

I carry my lights in a separate, somewhat padded bag, which then goes into the bin with the other gear, but it's not really necessary to baby the lights like that. The "koozie over the light head" method of protecting the light head seems pretty common.

I took advantage of some Black Friday deals to upgrade to my first canister light (a Light Monkey 10-32VF). Since it arrived in a simple cardboard box without any accompanying case or manual, . . .

My first thought on opening a box containing a new canister light was how unceremoniously it was packed, considering it is the single most expensive piece of gear I own. A regulator manufacturer might provide a padded bag with their logo on it, or even a custom hard case, but Light Monkey and Halcyon pack a canister light in a simple cardboard box, and with no accompanying manual to speak of.

My first thought on opening a box containing a new canister light was how unceremoniously it was packed, considering it is the single most expensive piece of gear I own. A regulator manufacturer might provide a padded bag with their logo on it, or even a custom hard case, but Light Monkey and Halcyon pack a canister light in a simple cardboard box, and with no accompanying manual to speak of.

Gee, I wonder why divers don't seem to know diddly about Li-on care?
I looked at their site. No manual....just specs. Pathetic really.

I did get something with mine about not storing the battery completely full or empty and plugging the charger into the wall before pushing the banana plugs into the canister. That info might have come with the charger.

I use the beer cozy too, but I have a HID light, so the bulb is fragile and $150.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom