Pro's/Cons Elearn v Crew Pack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I am looking to do my Divemaster Cert over the summer. I am curious to the Pro's and Con's of the Padi ELearning and Crew Pack.

I did my OW and AWO through NAUI ELearning and my Rescue through Padi Books.

Also, what about Dive Theory course, take it or skip it?

Thanks for the input.

Micheal

Hello all,

I am looking to do my Divemaster Cert over the summer. I am curious to the Pro's and Con's of the Padi ELearning and Crew Pack.

I did my OW and AWO through NAUI ELearning and my Rescue through Padi Books.

Also, what about Dive Theory course, take it or skip it?

Thanks for the input.

Micheal
Depends on what the instructor requires. Completing online dive theory saves instructor time as he/ she can spend less time on it. That alone can be reflected in the price of the course and keep it lower than what it could be. We still require the student DM to own DM crewpack as well as completing online dive theory. If you go on to asst instr or complete IDC program. Your course director will most likely require you to have completed online dive theory as well. So just do it now.

one way or another you're doing dive theory. IMO the online course is the way to go, but as was stated above, it depends on the shop/instructor you're taking it from as to how they choose to package it. if you move on up to instructor, or IDC staff, dive theory online is then really just a refresher.

Depends on what the instructor requires. Completing online dive theory saves instructor time as he/ she can spend less time on it. That alone can be reflected in the price of the course and keep it lower than what it could be. We still require the student DM to own DM crewpack as well as completing online dive theory. If you go on to asst instr or complete IDC program. Your course director will most likely require you to have completed online dive theory as well. So just do it now.

one way or another you're doing dive theory. IMO the online course is the way to go, but as was stated above, it depends on the shop/instructor you're taking it from as to how they choose to package it. if you move on up to instructor, or IDC staff, dive theory online is then really just a refresher.

Thank you both for the feedback. I have applied to a few internship programs in the gulf and Caribbean. Just excited and want to get a jump on the material.

I took the PADI Rescue elearning last Summer before taking checkout dives in Bermuda. So I can review modules for one year after the class, and the manual for life. I am hoping this means that when I review material yearly to keep fresh, that I will get most recent updates as well.

I completed my Divemaster in December 2016. I did the Theory on line which was very comprehensive. This allowed me to focus on diving and on the DM manual. The result was one less activity to do when I was in Koh Tao.

I would recommend completing the Theory segment online and before your DM training.

Good luck and enjoy the experience

GJS

I would recommend completing the Theory segment online and before your DM training. Good luck and enjoy the experienceGJS

I took the PADI Rescue elearning last Summer before taking checkout dives in Bermuda. So I can review modules for one year after the class, and the manual for life. I am hoping this means that when I review material yearly to keep fresh, that I will get most recent updates as well.

Thank you both for the info. Purchasing it today.

Personally, for pro levels I think it's better to do the Knowledge Reviews with a real person - they can tell you how things work in that location in which you are taking the training, rather than a generic answer for the whole world.

The Dive Theory Online is designed more for before an IDC than for DM. It goes into more detail than is needed for the DM cert - but more knowledge isn't a bad thing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom