Pros and cons of the different ways of attaching deco bottles in sidemount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There seem to be at least a few ways of attaching deco bottles in sidemount: one posted in an article by Rob Neto, another demonstrated by Jeff Loflin in his DVD, some people use the same setup as with backmounted doubles, and there are probably a number of others, or their variants, that I have not seen. Which system do you use? What others have you seen in use? Why did you choose your system over others? What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks!

in a cave it usually just gets clipped to my shoulder and held until it gets dropped off in the deco room. For OW I dive backmount doubles and sidemount my deco and stages. If I was diving sidemount in OW they would get treated exactly like bottom mount stages. Loflins setup is entirely unacceptable and defeats the purpose of having a streamlined rig. Keep in mind the age of that video, Jeff has changed a lot of his methods since then...

If I was diving sidemount in OW they would get treated exactly like bottom mount stages.

Just to clarify, did you mean to say that you clip the same way you clip stages in backmounted doubles? Same length of everything, same position of all the D-rings, and so on?

Loflins setup is entirely unacceptable and defeats the purpose of having a streamlined rig.

Are you referring to those floaty tank bottoms? I was wandering about that... is that an inherent challenge with floaty AL deco bottles riding on top of main tanks? What seemed nice in this setup with deco tanks riding on top is that the tanks are not cluttering the chest area.

Keep in mind the age of that video, Jeff has changed a lot of his methods since then...

Do you happen to know what he's doing nowadays?

no, same as stages for sidemount. Bottom mounted stages are run same way as the razor guys are doing it.

No, more to his neck hanging than the floating bottoms. The bottoms will get trapped by the backgas, but the fronts hanging down is the problem if you have to carry them any distance. For top mount the floating bottoms is a huge issue and is why RN has come out with his way, and Weston has come out with the extra leash to tame them. Unfortunately with stages and deco bottles you might well have 6 tanks on there. Other issue with top mounting deco bottles is it makes verification difficult depending on your rigging.

no, but I've heard that his rigging methods have changed quite a bit from the video Jill made a few years back

Thanks, I have not heard of "Weston's" method before... just ran into this thread, somehow I missed it the first time around.

Victors post describes it as Edd's method, but Edd's shop manager John Weston actually came up with it. Many of the mods that have been credited to Edd were actually started by John, and Edd will be the first to tell that to you.

Back
Top Bottom