Pros and cons for having the same brand reg/octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jenn S

New
Reaction score
Hey All!
I just purchased my first reg (aqualung mikron) and I got the matching octo however, I stumbled upon a scuba pro octo for half the price and wondering if there is a big difference if I go with the mikron for my primary and scubapro for my octo. The scubapro I was looking at was the R095

No issues provided they use the same intermediate pressure (IP), normally around 9 bar. Some use a higher pressure.

Hey All!
I just purchased my first reg (aqualung mikron) and I got the matching octo however, I stumbled upon a scuba pro octo for half the price and wondering if there is a big difference if I go with the mikron for my primary and scubapro for my octo. The scubapro I was looking at was the R095

Generally no issues but is the AL octo a balanced second stage?

looks like the scuba pro isnt, aqualung mikron is

The SP isn't balanced and doesn't have venturi. The Mikron is balanced and most likely has venturi. The Mikron is more expensive but is a better second stage. This specific SP octo is SP's bottom of the line second stage and hence less expensive.

Although in general I prefer SP much more than AL but in this instance, the Mikron is much better octo than the SP R095 by a wide margin AFAIK. It is worth the extra money.

The AL Mikron Octopus is the same regulator as the Mikron but with a yellow purge cover. I would go with the Mikron over the SP 095.

But to answer your initial question, yes, you could use the Scubapro 095 or 195 with the Mikron without issue.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom