Proper Back plate Position?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadly_risk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Following your guide and movies I have everything threaded properly, and adjusted the best I can on land (I should be getting the new rig wet this afternoon), but I have a question.

When I position the back plate just below the prominent vertebrae (but high enough I can easily reach the top of the plate) the waist strap is just above my navel. Is that high of a waist strap normal? I'm sure that is what my grandfather considers his waist, but us darn kids wear things a little lower normally. :cool2:

I'm sure Tobin will post up as well, but I just set my new DSS rig up with the directions Tobin includes and this web page and when I made my first dive with it, I had to make some very minor tweaks to the harness but was basically good to go. Sounds to me like you are a little high on the waist.

I would lower the plate a little bit, so that I could barely touch the top with my fingers.

Also, I would use a crotch-strap that is short, so that the waist strap is in a downward angle.
This will allow you to use the waistband to tighten the fit of the shoulderstraps (not too tight, as you then might change the tone of your voice) Also, it keeps the waistband away from the stomach, letting you breathe freely (the biggest reason why I hate jacket-style bcds)

Back
Top Bottom