Progress on the Square

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stolen from FB, posted yesterday:

plaza2.jpg
plaza1.jpg

They turned their traditional Mexican square into a beach club?! :confused:

They turned their traditional Mexican square into a beach club?! :confused:

I think it was on SB, DD, but the emminent historian EG opined that Cozumelanos don't have the attachment to what you call the 'traditional square.' They built the current one for attracting tourists and they are building a new one to attract more tourists. They have an entirely different view of it than you and I apparently. This one is going to have giant "Cozumel" in letters you can stand in front of an take your picture. And an in ground fountain. I was chatting with a taxi driver I know and asked what he thought. He thought Coz REALLY needed a fountain with the colored lights and that would really set off the plaza. I dunno; feels like Disney World. We will see I guess.

And no. The sand is being replaced with cement slowly.

The San Miguel BMX track lives

It'll actually be more level than before, and more accessible to people with mobility issues (as well as baby strollers).

They turned their traditional Mexican square into a beach club?!

I don't get that at all.

Wow. Thanks for the update. I agree in that my idea of the square is vastly different from theirs. Does sound a little Disney now. And it looks like it wont even be close to done for Carnival.

Im staying with a good friend who is selling material to the square. I rode with them yesterday and is a long way from completion. The new Westin hotel we went to today is moving right along with 3 shifts going 24\7. I guess that is the difference between private and public money.

Can anyone update the status of this project?

Also, is Plaza Leza still open?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom