Procedure for cleaning a reg for 100% O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Titan regulator that I want to use as a deco reg and have it cleaned for 100% O2. The LDS here that services Aqualung won't clean it for 100% because they don't want to be "liable." Sounds like they're not sure how to do it either.

I don't want to go out and buy a new 100% O2 compatible deco reg. What parts would be replaced if I could get the darn thing 100% O2 cleaned? Is it that difficult or is the LDS just gun shy?

BTW, Aqualung won't do it either. They'd rather sell me a Calypso O2 or Apeks TX40.

You need to know how to service your reg because it is not only cleaned but it has to be completely disassembled, then cleaned, then put back together with O2 safe orings and lube. Same for the first stage and the hose must be cleaned. Hence you are going to need a service kit which aqualung wont sell. Where are you located? Send me a pm if you want more info or maybe I can help out some more.

While I'm pretty mechanically inclined I'm not about to do this all by myself. I'll either ask a buddy of mine who is an Aqualung tech to help me or I'll pay someone to do it. My first problem is just knowing what needs to be done. The person I spoke to at my LDS didn't even know what to replace.

I figured it was mostly about using the right o-rings and lubricant, but hadn't thought of the hose...duh! :huh: I'm trying to put together my gear for a tech class I'm taking this spring and really would like to use one of my Titan regs. Thanks for your suggestions. I will be sending you a PM. Thanks!!

yeah if your friend is a tech then it should not be a problem, pm me and Ill try to help. I am currently convertying to titans to din fittings and O2 cleaning them. You might want to find a different shop especially if you are going tech because it is not a hard thing to do really the only thing is you are not assemblying it in a clean room but that is not that big of deal.

O2 cleaning a reg is not rocket science, but should not be attempted without proper training and supervision.
For that reason this description is not a detailed set of instructions.
I am leaving out details so don't attempt it without supervision of a trained O2 cleaning tech.

Yes you definitely need to be qualified to service the reg to O2 clean it.
A complete tear down and removeal of all nitrile (buna) o-rings is required.
The materials used in the cleaning must leave no hydrocarbon residue.
All other parts must be thoroughly cleaned and degreased with an appropriate agent, rinsed and mechanically scrubbed/brushed with appropriate clenaing agent and re-rinsed. Parts must be air dried kept in a lint free area until reassembled. (any lint or contamination, grease, etc is fuel that can burn in pressureized 100% O2 ). Nitrile o-rings are replaced with viton (fluoroelastomer) orings, which have a much high temperature rating (200°C) before they burn. Orings must be lubricated with an O2 compatible lubricant. The reg is reassembled and intermedate pressure set.
Care must be taken not to use this reg on other than hyper clean air or O2.
Allowable hydrocarbons of regular scuba air can contaminate the regulator first stage and become the source of ignition.
Many argue that diaphram regulators should not be used for O2 service, because of the lack of replacement for the diaphram.
For this reason piston regulators which are relatively easy to service and have fewer nitrile components to replace are the prefered choice.
100% O2 is not used deeper than 20 feet on deco, so a high performace reg is not nessessary.

Mike D
O2 cleaning & Gas Blender Tech
NAUI instr 4780 (retired)
PADI instr 202288 (retired)

mddolson:
100% O2 is not used deeper than 20 feet on deco, so a high performace reg is not nessessary.
True statement, but I'm going to caution that you want to O2 clean ALL your regulators that you will be using on deco bottles, even if they're not going to see high oxygen content.

Consider the case where you have two bottles (very common for me; my "typical" week-night dive finds me with an AL40 of 21/35 trimix, and an AL19 of 100% oxygen).

If a stage/deco regulator fails under water on one of those bottles, I (you) will switch the regulator in from the other bottle. Ergo, I want one that if I pull it from my oxygen bottle, is going to breathe decently at depth. And, the other way around - if the oxygen reg fails, I'll pull the one off the deep bottle and put it on the oxygen cylinder. You're going to really want that O2 clean if you do that.

Oxygen regs do tend to need rebuilds a lot more often, in my experience. I've had at least two failures on mine in the last couple of years (DS4/TX50 - I use 'em for everything...) Knowing how the guts work can save you a lot of headache.

you also do not have to use viton orings but do have to use O2 safe lube. The buna orings will work but you must have it surfaced at least once a year because the orings powder up, were as viton you usually could just let go till it breaks down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom