Problems with Sherwood Genesis HP 100's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you might know of anyone having problems with older (10yrs.) Sherwood Genesis 100cf HP (3500psi) tanks failing hydro? Also, who is the manufacturer? I have checked out the Sherwood website and it seems that they do not sell steel cylinders anymore. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks

Cmay, I just went to the Sherwood site you are correct; they show AL tanks, but not AAs (steel). However, since they are the original manufacturer, you should still contact them if you are having problems with one of their products.

I have a pair of Sherwood/Genesis HP 80s that are 10 yrs old. Their most recent hydro was within the last 3 years. I also have them VIP'd yearly with no problems were detected.

Bon chance,

~SubMariner~

Genesis cylinders are PST HP cylinders. As such, they must be "rounded out" before testing. Failing to do so may cause the cylinder to fail and invalidate the warranty in one fell swoop.

See technical bulletin D100 on this page: http://www.pstscuba.com/tech.htm

Note that the cylinder must be pressurized to 85-90% of the TP and then released, at which point the burette must be rezeroed and the actual test done.

Also note that technical bulletin D101 on the same page specifies that the TP for HP cylinders is 3/2s the WP, not 5/3 like LP cylinders.

Roak

Originally posted by roakey
Genesis cylinders are PST HP cylinders.

Roak

Just want to point out that the "Newer" Genesis Cylinders are Asahi, Not PST.

Originally posted by cmay
Hello all,

Also, who is the manufacturer? I have checked out the Sherwood website and it seems that they do not sell steel cylinders anymore. I would appreciate any info.

Thanks

I was told that Sherwood and Genesis were actually separate companies that had a symbiotic relationship much like Apeks/Zeagle used to have. One made the regs and valves etc. and the other some of the other gear. Several years ago Sherwood and Genesis parted company. This is probably why you can't find the tanks there. The Genesis website is:

http://www.genesisscuba.com/

The advice about PST tanks is good. They have a special hydro procedure which is unique to their galvanized tank. Get a copy of it from their website and don't get the tank hydro'ed by anyone not familiar with them.

Originally posted by Tavi
Just want to point out that the "Newer" Genesis Cylinders are Asahi, Not PST.
Gost durnit, just when I thought I was starting to keep up with the mergers/buyouts and partner swapping going on in the SCUBA industry!

Roak

Just a warning everyone! For all of you guys that have older genesis cylinders (manu. by Pressed Steel) there is a special process that has to be followed at hydro. If this process is not followed your tanks could fail hydro even though they are perfectly fine. Thanks to roakly for pointing me towards the PST tech website. You saved my tanks.

Originally posted by cmay
Thanks to roakly for pointing me towards the PST tech website. You saved my tanks.
Glad I could help! My consultant's fee is a pop if we ever meet :)

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom