Problem with underwater housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
About 2 years ago I bought a 10bar housing for my Olympus omd-em5 camera.
Not after ~30 dives, the "coating" of the housing is damaged. And because of the location it cannot be damaged from an impact.
Any idea why it can be damaged? And if its just going to worsen since water can get behind the coating?

PA300897.jpg

Can you contact the manufacturer? Seems as though they would have the best answer to what you've documented here.

I already contacted the manufacturer but so far its not easy to get an answer.
And I'd still like to know if anyone experience this problem.

I have a similar mark on my 10bar E-PL5 housing - don't mind that as much as the corrosion around the port screws. My next housing will definitely come from another manufacturer...

You have a 2 year warranty. Just send it back to them or go through your dealer.

Thanks Tamas!
Did did the problem get worse and more coating coming off? How bad is it?

---------- Post added November 8th, 2015 at 07:35 PM ----------

Thanks JackConnick!
I had read somewhere (on the website i bought the housing i think) that the warranty was 1 year.
But I just did a quick search and according to the manual, the warranty is 2 years.
http://10bar.com/manual/OM-D E-M5 Manual.pdf

The housing is made of aluminium.I had no leek so far, but since the water can not get behind the coating, I dont know how quick the coating can come off or if any water leak could append.

Thanks Tamas!
Did did the problem get worse and more coating coming off? How bad is it?

Fortunately it didn't worsen. An idea to keep up with it: try to squeeze a thin zinc sheet between the housing and the tray so, that it has
a metallic connection with the main crews.

Back
Top Bottom