Problem with trim, "heavy head"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, two months ago I have changed my configuration from wetsuit/sidemoount to drysuit and bakcmount with twins to have the same configuration as my new group. Unfortunately, I have terrible problems with my trim on which I used to be proud :) The problem is like I have "heavy head" - head down, legs up. I have tried to put my tanks more down, also the v-weight tail is directed down, but this doesn't help at all. My fins are Hollis F1, slightly negative and there is definitely no problem with to much air in my legs. I have read a ton f articles about getting into trim with back mount and tried a lot of tips in my pool (only 1,5m deep), but ....nothing. Any advice please?

First, make sure your tank bands are set so the top one is right up against the crown at the top of the cylinders. Also, you can try making sure the band bolts go through the lowest set of holes in your wing.

Assuming you have done that....

I have had the same problem in the past. I have owned and used at least 5 different wings for doubles. Halcyon, Oxycheq, OMS, and 2 different Dive Rites.

With the OMS and both Dive Rites, I get good trim with no tail weight.

With the Halcyon and the Oxycheq, I could not maintain flat trim without a tail weight. Without the tail weight, if I became STILL (including NO fin movement) I would always start to turn head down. Practice all you want. When you are perfectly still, Physics will always win and if you are head heavy, you will rotate head down.

Different wings have different shapes and provide lift that has a different center of gravity. For me, the Halcyon and Oxycheq wings produced a center of gravity to their lift that was too low on my body. The OMS and Dive Rite wings have a shape that gives a center of gravity to their lift that works just right for me.

You might need to try a different wing.

Come on now, you’re solving an equipment problem with equipment. Everybody knows that’s not allowed! /s

First, make sure your tank bands are set so the top one is right up against the crown at the top of the cylinders. Also, you can try making sure the band bolts go through the lowest set of holes in your wing.

Assuming you have done that....

I have had the same problem in the past. I have owned and used at least 5 different wings for doubles. Halcyon, Oxycheq, OMS, and 2 different Dive Rites.

With the OMS and both Dive Rites, I get good trim with no tail weight.

With the Halcyon and the Oxycheq, I could not maintain flat trim without a tail weight. Without the tail weight, if I became STILL (including NO fin movement) I would always start to turn head down. Practice all you want. When you are perfectly still, Physics will always win and if you are head heavy, you will rotate head down.

Different wings have different shapes and provide lift that has a different center of gravity. For me, the Halcyon and Oxycheq wings produced a center of gravity to their lift that was too low on my body. The OMS and Dive Rite wings have a shape that gives a center of gravity to their lift that works just right for me.

You might need to try a different wing.

I prefer DR because that's what I have and what works, no experience with other wings though.

I prefer DR because that's what I have and what works, no experience with other wings though.

I like them because they work (for me, anyway). And Dive Rite has good service. I have a Dive Rite Nomad XT wing on my CCR. It was very used when I got it. It started leaking because the bladder was worn and needed to be replaced. I sent it to DR, they changed out the bladder and sent it back. Turnaround was quick and the cost was very reasonable. Now it's like new again.

Turtles will give you leg weight. Rather than a v-weight, a tail weight. Maybe weight in hips with pouches...

if all else fails attach a weight to your crotch strap rear....though that's a kind of alternative 'get heavier fins' approach tbh.

Turtles will give you leg weight. Rather than a v-weight, a tail weight. Maybe weight in hips with pouches...

Turtles are more negative than Hollis F1s? By how much?

Back
Top Bottom