Problem with Smart Media Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zboss

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I wonder if you guys might be able to help me out... I went diving a little while ago and took my camera. I have a c-3030z. After about 15 to 20 minutes into each dive my camera would start writing out to the card and not stop resulting in my need to turn off the camera. After that it kept giving me card errors for that card. I tried switching/recharging the batteries and using different cards before I finally gave up and just started enjoying my dives :wink:

Unfortunately for me now - those cards that I tried to use seem to be fried. I can't retreive the pictures I took from them using either the camera or a smart media card reader I bought for the computer. Some of the cards were two years old but at least two were brand new - all name brand. Worse yet - I can't even reformat the cards. Does anyone have ANY ideas about what I could do?

Sorry...the only problem I ever had was fixed by formatting the card. I know there is recovery software out there but don't know of any in particular.

Hopefully someone will come along who knows~!

zboss:
Hey Folks,

I wonder if you guys might be able to help me out... I went diving a little while ago and took my camera. I have a c-3030z. After about 15 to 20 minutes into each dive my camera would start writing out to the card and not stop resulting in my need to turn off the camera. After that it kept giving me card errors for that card. I tried switching/recharging the batteries and using different cards before I finally gave up and just started enjoying my dives :wink:

Unfortunately for me now - those cards that I tried to use seem to be fried. I can't retreive the pictures I took from them using either the camera or a smart media card reader I bought for the computer. Some of the cards were two years old but at least two were brand new - all name brand. Worse yet - I can't even reformat the cards. Does anyone have ANY ideas about what I could do?

I posted in the Oly Section a document with useful links:
(http://scubaboard.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6560)

I can't say enough great things about photo rescue. Its saved my ample butt a number of times. If there is a snoflake's chance your pics can be saved, this utility can do it. If it's can't, well, use the cards as door shims and get some tough CF cards....

Good luck!

K

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Mo2Vation!

I downloaded the demo, clearly saw that it picked up on the photos and then went and paid for the full version... It was certainly worth it - I was able to recover about 200 photos or about 70% of what I had lost. This also included my quicktime movies!

I am not inclined to get a new camera or cards as this camera is fairly high quality, paid for, etc... Also - even though I have been an amature photographer for years, underwater photography has presented a lot of challanges and I need to spend more time getting better with the camera I currently have before plunking down even more cash for a better camera.

On this last dive trip I switched over to bracketing mode and that helped out alot for two reasons: it allowed me to capture a series of photos of the same subject and for those subjects that didn't move too much I was able to take my choice of three different exposures.

I really liked taking the video... even though it was just an experiment. I was surprised at how well the video came out even though I had no additional light source.

Thanks Again...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom