Problem with ScubaPro R395 second stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I have done about 60 dives with my Scubapro R395 2nd stage (with the Mk11 1st stage and an R295 octo) that I bought as a set second hand (but in brand new condition) and serviced by myself.
Below I attach a picture of the R395 2nd stage (not mine).
395.jpg

This bright silver "S" mark in the middle of the purge button/ diaphragm cover (part no 11393036) is actually a metal disk engraved/cut to show this "S" letter. This metal disk is held in place by the (flexible) diaphragm cover that is surrounding it. The cover has a notch around the hole where the metal disc sits.

The problem is that when one pushes the purge button, the metal disk can get out of its' notch and pushed permanently through the hole to the diaphragm deforming it and causing a free flow. To stop this one has to unscrew the whole cover (I usually don't use the safety pin so this can be done without tools). That would stop the free flow. Then the disk needs to be placed back to its' position in the notch - something not that easy - and then the regulator is back to normal.

This has happened to me twice. Once by me (since then I know so I am extra careful) and recently a second time by a crew on a boat I was diving with. Fortunately both times were on the surface after the dive so no big deal.
To be honest one needs to push a bit hard the disk for this to happen, but given that the disk sits lower than the cover, the fingers naturally are guided to it. After all something happening 2 times in 60 or so dives cannot be rare occurrence.

The question is, is there something that can be done? This is the regulator I normally use for diving. Should I look for another 2nd stage? I thought to replace the diaphragm cover by one that comes with the R295 second stages (part number 11293036). Parts look very similar but the one that comes with the R295 is all plastic/rubber and doesn't have this metal disk at all.

There are 2 problem with this solution: first I don't know where to get this part (google doesn't help) and second it will cost money and I am pretty sure it will be a ridiculous sum for a piece of rubber/plastic. Any other recommendations?

All these make me wonder, is ScubaPro aware of this? I'll drop them a line.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Take a peek at the back of the purge cover. See if there is a crack in the skirt that holds the metal disk in place. If so, that is probably why the disc slips out. My first move would be to replace the purge cover, as I've not heard of this being an issue before. On the other hand, this disc is significantly larger than the old "S" disc in the 109's, so it might indeed come out more easily.
If there's no fixable problem with your purge cover, I think you could probably retrofit to another style of faceplate, but I'll have to confirm that. Stand by...
Does your 295 octo faceplate fit in your 395? If so, I'll bring you a new cover on my next trip to Greece! I'm thinking of dropping over in a couple of months. :D

Thanks @rsingler. There is no visible cracks/marks in the skirt. The skirt seems to be just too soft to hold the disk in the groove.
Trying to put the disk back is not easy and requires some effort (stretching the edges of the skirt to squeeze the disk in etc) and all these don't help - so I am afraid it will deteriorate.
I'll have a look for the 295 cover. It should match but I need to confirm this.
As for your offer, thanks a lot, but you'd better keep the space in your luggage for more useful things :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom