Problem with my rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a couple Worthington HP100's while I was deployed. Hooked my regulator up today, in DIN configuration, turned the valve, and air started leaking out of the small pin hole on the left side of the valve. Both tanks did this, and they both have about 500psi in them. Why is this leaking?

PRO-Outlet.jpg

Small pin hole on the left.

that is in yoke config as pictured by the way.. Din if you take insert out.

that is in yoke config as pictured by the way.. Din if you take insert out.

I know, I just googled a picture to show the hole on the side of the valve.

I tried using my basically new Atomic B2 with a yoke adapter on the rental AL80s and it started leaking around the adapter. Try hooking it up to my own DIN tanks and now these are both leaking. This is getting pretty frustrating. The tanks are brand new, and the reg has less than 10 dives on it. It sat in my bedroom for a year but it was cleaned properly after every use.

Most likely that the air is leaking past the o-ring at the end of the DIN screw of your regulator...and that the hole on the side of the valve is to vent in that situation.

Air is lazy. Doesn't want to travel further than it has to. It escapes through the first hole it comes to, which is the little hole on the side of the valve.

Whenever you have leaks, check orings. Because they are what provide the seal, they should be the first suspect when there is no perfect seal.

Interesting. I'll have to look into it further tomorrow. Maybe that would explain why my DIN/YOKE adapter all of a sudden started leaking as well.'

Thanks for the help guys.

Depending on where it was leaking from, yes. In general though, leaks are caused by bad orings, so even without that bit of supporting evidence, it is safe to assume there is a bad oring. The fact that it is leaking from the hole on the valve instead of from the handwheel of the reg suggests that it is a simple, external oring, and not one of the internal ones. Simple, few cent replacement. Buy a few extra to keep on hand, sometimes orings go bad suddenly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom