Problem with housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver2696

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone,
I have a housing for a dslr, lately it has been leaking!
The seal has been checked, rechecked and replaced and
the housing has been sent to a repair shop were it was
"fixed", now the housing starts leaking half way through
a dive. Any tips or advice on what I could do would be
greatly appreciated:)

You don't say enough about the housing for us to even guess what might be wrong. What brand and model? How old? Has is been to the factory for refurbishment? Has it been damaged? How many dives on it?

Olympus, 30 dives, been to repair shop, in good condition and well looked after

IMO housings made by the camera manufacturers are not as robust as housings made by housing manufacturers. I have constantly read of problems with Olympus and Canon housings. I have an Ikelite for my Olympus P&S and my wife has the Olympus housing for hers. My housing is bulkier, thicker and larger than hers and has never leaked. Hers is much more compact, lighter and to be fair, the buttons much easier to operate. Hers leaks through the button seals. I'm thinking that the Ikelite has a thicker oring with more surface to seal than the Olympus. When you operate the button, the pushing allows a small amount of water to by pass the packing and leaks occur, the deeper you are the more water. Could be out to lunch here but that is my 2 cents.

You should probably just buy another housing and not get it fixed because that's probably gonna cost the same amount as buying a new housing. Personally, I use a Nimar housing and it's never failed me. What I mean by that is, it's never flooded or cracked. Although I've dropped the housing quite a few times. I enjoy having a clear housing rather than an aluminum case(it's better don't get me wrong) but I clear because I can see, just in case, if my housing floods. I DO NOT want my baby to get wet.

I've heard good things about ikelite, I'm not trying talk bobo.

and here's a picture of Pipin, idk if you know him but he's a pretty awesome diver and uses nimar

Back
Top Bottom