Problem with Corrugated Hose Screwing into Bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacLir

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I have been the satisfied owner of my Zeagle Ranger for about 12 years. Last dive, however, I experienced an issue that puzzled me. I assume I messed up somehow, so I want to see if folks have any idea if I am missing something.... The issue involved the BC's corrugated inflator hose coming unscrewed/detached from the bladder of the BC at depth. The BC connections appeared fine on a pre-dive check and took air normally prior to giant stride into the water and while on the surface preparing to descend. I realized while descending (at about 30 fsw and attempting to get neutral) that the BC was not retaining air. I used my dry suit for buoyancy during the dive and, when back on the boat, found on examination that the BC's hose coupling (connection to the bladder) had either popped off or somehow come unscrewed during the descent. The charter captain/instructor and I inspected the coupling and found no cracks or obvious problems. I screwed the hose back in place and inflated the BC until the overpressure valves 'popped'; the corrugated hose stayed firmly in place and the BC stayed inflated. The coupling appears to be screwed in properly (as it always has), but I am a bit concerned that there is a potential problem that I am overlooking. If it is simply that my pre-dive inspection was faulty and did not disclose a coupling loosened a bit in transit, that would be a relief. Any thoughts folks might have would be much appreciated! Note: the corrugated hose is not original. I obtained a replacement from Zeagle a couple of years ago due to a sticking inflator button on the original hose (just due to normal wear and tear).

Thanks
Jim

When doing post-dive cleaning, do you normally unscrew this? I used to with my old BC as it was a heck of a lot easier to get enough water in to clean the inside of the bladder that way. One time, I must have cross threaded it, and didn't immediately realize. It leaked air when I tried to fill it, so I realized what I did.

My current BC is Zeagle and has the BX connector, so I don't normally unscrew it anymore.

Thanks Belzelbub. That must be what happened. I have have done a couple of dives since with no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom