Problem with Aladin Prime and IR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have an Uwatec Aladin Prime (my belowed black puck) that reasonably developed issues with the IR transfer of data to smarttrak.
When I try to transfer my data to smarttrak it simply will not connect to the computer.
I use a USB IR dongle that I have confirmed to work with my cellphone and I have played around with the angle of the computers ir window towards the computer as my "old reliable" position just didnt work anymore.

I am reluctat to go onto the prime (which otherwise works fine) and hit the reset button given the fact that it has a memory full of dives I have not yet been able to transfer to my computer (I discovered the IR issue halfway through my last divetrip).

I also think that if a reset does NOT help it could be the IR port that has died, given the fact it dont seem to want to connect to the PC regardless of angle or distance.

I have tried to install the program fresh on a different computer with the same result.
Running smarttrak in admin or normal user modes yield the exact same results.
Both computers run Windows 7.

My first question is of course if theres any ideas EXCEPT the ones ive tried on how to get it working?
And second is of course wether there is a way to get hold of the data and get it transferred to the computer without IR - something I would assume to mean some kinda intrusive and thereby fairly costly service?

---------- Post Merged on August 7th, 2012 at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was on August 6th, 2012 at 11:28 PM ----------

A little bump..

I had the same problem with an UWATEC Aladin Tec. It was out of warranty. I sent it to SCUBAPRO, and they offered to replace it with a SCUBAPRO Aladin 2G for $250.00 (US). That is about the half the US price; and it came with a new 1 year warranty. In other words it is cheaper to replace it than repair it.

I would assume it is, but the thing Im worried about is actually the data on it that I would like to have though.
The computer WORKS though.. It would just be nice to be able to get the dive profiles downloaded before it becomes a backup computer :p

Hi Tigerman,

Thank you for choosing SCUBAPRO. It does sound like the IR function has malfunctioned, and unfortunately, we do not have a repair or another way to download the computer for you. We will replace it with a current model, at no charge if the unit is under the two year warranty. Please see an authorized dealer for assistance in returning the unit.

Happy Diving,
KateSCUBAPRO

Thank you for your answer.
It is not within warranty though, so I guess I'll just end up getting a new computer soon..

Back
Top Bottom