Probe LX weight issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dugaru

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all --

I was lucky enough to receive a relatively new Probe LX BC as a hand-me-down gift. I absolutely love this BC -- especially compared to some of the rented gear I've used! -- and I spent some time studying its features and operations before diving with it.

But one problem has emerged -- the weights don't want to stay put. They remain clipped and "velcroed," but sort of slide out of the pockets. Stuffing them back in the pockets underwater is a huge pain for somebody of my (extremely modest) skill level.

I feel that I am likely doing something really bone-headed to cause this, but I figured I'd ask here, because I've never been afraid to look like an idiot in public. :dork2:

Any tips?

Cheers
Doug

the pockets that came with mine have velcro on the inside of the pockets to stop this from happening.

perhaps they're generic cheap integrated weight pockets?

you're right though... this BC is awesome compared to hire gear... the shallow dive i did which my spanking new probe LX BCD (max 6m) was effortless in remaining perfectly buoyant.

I agree with NCadiver been using a probe for a few years now and can not see how the weight could come out of the pocket unless the stiff plate inside the weight pouch was missing somehow. Have never really look inside to see if it was removable. If you have an oceanic dealer near by you could go by and compare your weight pocket to theirs and see if something is up - might be a simple fix.

Well it turns out that the theories here were correct: the stiff plate in my weight pocket is broken, and the broken part of it has slid toward the opposite end -- meaning I have a floppy pouch that falls right out.

The pocket stays connected to the BC b/c of the velcro and clip, which are pretty good failsafe features, but obviously it's pretty annoying.

Priced replacement pockets -- $65! Ouch! And they might just break again. I think I'll open the sealed part of the pocket, put a bent piece of 6061 aluminum sheet in there, then sew it back with an industrial-strength needle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom