Probably silly thinking...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver333

Reaction score
I have been pretty sick now for about 2 weeks and my doctor can't figure out what it is. Every blood test has come back normal. My symptoms started out as really bad pains in my legs, ankles and feet and they would fall asleep, tingle or become numb very easily. Now I still have that, plus back pain, arm pain, major fatigue, flu like symptoms and it goes on....I talked to my brother today and he suggested decompression sickness and that would all make sense, except that the last time I dove was the first week of august. I admit that me and my dad had trouble at first with our safety stop and bolted right to the surface (no worries though, we figured it out) but I felt fine and thought I was fine. I know that my sickness probably has nothing to do with diving but I guess I just need some reassurance. Can anyone help me?

To quote what it says right at the top of the page:

"If you think you might be injured or have suffered any symptoms of DCS, you need to be evaluated by a doctor immediately. Please seek medical attention or call the Divers Alert Network (DAN) at 1-800-446-2671."

When did you first start noticing the trouble?

KMD:
To quote what it says right at the top of the page:

"If you think you might be injured or have suffered any symptoms of DCS, you need to be evaluated by a doctor immediately. Please seek medical attention or call the Divers Alert Network (DAN) at 1-800-446-2671."

When did you first start noticing the trouble?

I'll second that. Call DAN.

Terry

Im gonna have to say not a chance. Good luck with finding out what it is.

Calling DAN won't hurt. It seems like a really long time period (2 months) between your last dive and your symptoms for it to be DCS. My brother had a pinched nerve in his back that seems to have similar symptoms. If you did any lifting, bending, twisting, etc. around the time the symptoms developed it would be good to mention to your doctor. A sports med doc might be the place to go. I am not a doctor. This is not medical advice.

diver333:
I have been pretty sick now for about 2 weeks and my doctor can't figure out what it is. Every blood test has come back normal. My symptoms started out as really bad pains in my legs, ankles and feet and they would fall asleep, tingle or become numb very easily. Now I still have that, plus back pain, arm pain, major fatigue, flu like symptoms and it goes on....I talked to my brother today and he suggested decompression sickness and that would all make sense, except that the last time I dove was the first week of august. I admit that me and my dad had trouble at first with our safety stop and bolted right to the surface (no worries though, we figured it out) but I felt fine and thought I was fine. I know that my sickness probably has nothing to do with diving but I guess I just need some reassurance. Can anyone help me?

I'm not a doctor but I'd think that it's highly unlikely that it's any kind of DCS at this point. The problem with these kinds of symptoms is that they can occur in lots of diseases for a variety of different reasons.

R..

diver333:

What does your doctor think may be the problem? The doctor has seen you and examined you. Certainly that as elicited an opinion that has been shared with you.
Have you told your doctor about your dive history? If so, does the doctor think that it is irrelevant, relevant?
In your opinion is your doctor competent in the areas you are asking for an opinion on? If not find another doctor.
Is your brother sufficiently knowledgable by educationa and experience to render any kind of opinion? Like celebrities, relatives may have good karma but be totally clueless outside their area of expertise.

Unfortunately medical professionals are not all knowing. Many times it takes persistance on the patient's part to find a physician who is able to do the proper diagnosis and prescribe the proper treatment.

Hi diver333,

I can assure you that if the actual onset of the first signs and symptoms was on the order of two months following your last dive (after which your report feeling fine), they are not DCI-related. This is what DAN will tell you as well.

As an aside, even if onset was in much closer temporal proximity to the last dive the description, "...really bad pains in my legs, ankles and feet and they would fall asleep, tingle or become numb very easily. Now I still have that, plus back pain, arm pain, major fatigue, flu like symptoms...." is not particularly suggestive of DCI.

Best of luck in sorting out the malady.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hello diver333:

With dive-symptom interval of two months between your signs and symptoms and your dive, it is certainly nor related to decompression sickness. This is the feeling of the other responders, as well. Sprains and strains are a different matter.:(

Neurological DCS

Problems associated with nerves and decompression have some similar characteristics:

1. Problems usually appear within the first hour post dive;
2. The longest time for appearance is about 24 hours, but this is really not common;
3. Symptoms (what you feel) or signs (what others see) usually either remit in a couple of days or stay for weeks or months; in the worst case, they will never remit.

Divers will often associate medical problems with a dive. Remember, as I have often said, millions of people have these same problems, and have never dived in their life.. They will visit a physician or chiropractor and never think of DCS.

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom