Probably a dumb question but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In October, we are heading for the Flower Gardens, leaving Freeport, TX. As I am a Brit, will I need my passport to get back into dock or do they not check for people smuggling?

Far_X:
In October, we are heading for the Flower Gardens, leaving Freeport, TX. As I am a Brit, will I need my passport to get back into dock or do they not check for people smuggling?

I've never seen anyone check in 6 trips and can't imagine it happening. But, unless you think you look good in an orange jumpsuit, why not just pack the passport.

Enjoy.

If you do decide not to take the passport, you may not want to tell anyone. Some Yank is liable to see it as an opportunity to have some fun. Can you say, "US citizen" with a TX accent?

I can't imagine you needing it, but I suppose it is wise to err on the side of caution. You're still in US territorial waters, but since you have already cleared immigration when you got to the airport over here, you shouldn't have a problem. It might be better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, however.

Good luck on your trip.

parrotheaddiver:
You may want to bring your Texas passport to get back into Texas :D

And I thought they let anyone enter Texas especially when coming from somewhere with Mexico in it's title :wink:

ScubanTexan:
US territorial waters

How far do your waters extend then? Would have though 100 miles off coast was international :11: Hell, we could have travelled through four countries from England in that distance :wink:

I wonder if my NY driving licence would suffice as it is more easily replaced if it gets lost.

I hope you are not making a special trip just to dive the Flower Gardens and if you are I hope you have back up plans. Flower Gardens boats don't always go out because the seas can get a little dicey. What trip are you going on in October?

I was making the trip down just for that - flights are quite cheap from NY but not so cheap that I would just come down to Houston for a visit to the shopping mall :wink: I was wondering what alternatives there are in case of bad weather. Any suggestions? I know it is still hurricaine season - only moved to NY in March from Louisiana so still watch out for them!! :)

Oh, btw, the trip I am going on is Oct. 8th. on the SeaSearcher

No, you don't need a passport.

The Flower Gardens is a US National Marine Sanctuary. You never leave US waters.

Best wishes on a good trip. The weather has been beyond strange even for Texas this year.

TwoBit

Make a copy of the photo & ID part of the passport and take the copy with you along with your C-card. Stash the passport on shore. No problem, man.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom