Trip Report Pro Divers - St. Kitts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wants2divemore

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was in St. Kitts on Jan 31st diving while there on a Royal Caribbean cruise. I'm posting this here and in the regional forum.

Bottom line - Great experience, would definitely dive with Pro Divers again.

Meeting location: Just past security at cruise pier, then 2 minutes walk to dock.

Boat: Kuriala, 38’ dive Catamaran, 14 divers max, covered deck area, no restrooms.

Briefing: Covered boat safety and dive plan.

Dive sites dove (they have many different ones, decide which ones to dive the day of):
Brimstone Shallows: Reef, lots of marine life, 130’ depth
Camp’s Reef: Finger-like reef, lots of marine life, 70’ depth

Dives: Group dive of 8 divers with 2 guides, buddies established. Austin (owner) leads dives, does great job of pointing out marine life and will catch lobsters. There was another instructor (Terry) who was at the back. Water and snacks provided during surface interval.

Comments: Great experience, easy to book with, would use again.

Brimstone Shallows: Reef, lots of marine life, 130’ depth
Camp’s Reef: Finger-like reef, lots of marine life, 70’ depth
Glad you had a good time. What were your max. depths on those 2 dives? I assume the depths you gave were to the bottom. Was Brimstone Shallows a sloping reef wall?

Richard.

Just an FYI...I dived with Pro Divers in St. Kitts last year. We also did River Taw wreck and Brimstone Shallows. My log indicates BS was about 35 feet but it was right along the drop off. When we were there as soon as we got in the water we were surrounded by reef sharks. One of the DMs speared a lionfish and fed it to a shark. That was pretty cool.

Glad you had a good time. What were your max. depths on those 2 dives? I assume the depths you gave were to the bottom. Was Brimstone Shallows a sloping reef wall?

Richard.

Yes, depths were to the bottom (only went to 84' at Brimstone Shallows and 58' at Camps Reef). BS was a sloping reef wall.

Once again landed at St Kitts this time on the Volendam Found that there were far less sharks on all the island dives! China killing a million a year is taking its toll.

Just thought I would "dive in" here with a comment about depths. :cool:

Brimstone Shallows (which is a huge reef) actually has depths exceeding 130 ft.
The "walls" on each side are a gentle slope that can be deceptive.
We plan our dives on here to be multilevel (top of reef is flat at around 45 - 50 ft. )That way we we can maximise bottom time.
We will level off around 70 ft on the slope, but it is very easy for divers who wish to stay shallower, say 60ft, to do so and still be in sight of the group. We encourage buddy pairs to spread out and enjoy their dive.
Average dive time on this site is aound 45 mins. Your computer will show an average deoth of around 55 ft.

Camps Reef is 40 ft on top, 60 ft to the sand. The sand is where we find Stingrays, the slope has lots of cracks and crevices full of critters.
Reef is just a little too large to completely circumvent in one dive.

The wreck of the River Taw has a fantastic 2 part wreck, an artificial reef and a sunken Bulldozer (yes I know how it got there) and a Chevy bus chassis.
An hour bottom time is required to see all 3 sections but even air hogs should get to see the Wreck and the Bulldozer before being "dropped off" under the boat.
For depth, bring a shovel if you want to go below 42ft ! :wink:

Nice video buck3647

When I dove Brimstone Shallows with Pro Divers and Terry back in December, we hit a max of 99 feet and average depth was 58. Dive time was 47 minutes and I believe Auston fed three lionfish to the sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom