Trip Report Pro Divers St. Kitts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric802

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was in St. Kitts on Dec. 29 on a cruise stop on Voyager of the Seas; the diving excursion offered by the cruise line was cancelled a few months before we left, so I booked a 2-tank dive with Pro Dive St. Kitts, based largely on reports from here on Scubaboard. Communication in setting up the reservation and with regard to any questions I had was by email and Auston and Margot were very responsive.

We were to meet at 8:15 a.m. "to the left of the big St. Kitts" sign at the cruise port, and that's exactly where I found Auston and some of the other divers who would be going with us. There were two ships in port that day, and some of the other divers were from the other ship while some were staying at local hotels. I gathered that some of them had booked multiple days of diving with Pro Divers. We had a quick walk (maybe 5 minutes) directly to the dive boat. It's a good-sized boat with most of the deck shaded by a canopy; we had 11 divers and three crew, and the only time it seemed a little crowded was when we were sitting down trying to get into our gear. AL 80's were standard with Pro valves, and one of the mates was happy to take out the inserts for those of us with DIN regs. Fills on my tanks were both 3000psi.

They had two divers in the water with us; Auston, who led the group, and Terry who brought up the rear. I was insta-buddied with another diver and we stuck together pretty well on the first dive, but the "buddy diving" was pretty loose in general - it was more of a group dive. During the briefing, Auston would describe the site and tell us how the descent/ascent would work. There was some surface current so, while I wouldn't describe it as a hot drop, we were told to get in the water and head down with purpose. We could dive our tanks; the plans had us ending below the boat by the anchor line, so if you had air you were free to use it. Three-minute safety stops were required. My dives were 47 & 48 minutes and I came up with 500 each time.

First dive was about 1.5 miles offshore, which was a bumpy ride as it was pretty windy. The site was "Brimstone Shallows", although "shallow" is relative - we did what I think was the back side of the reef, and my max depth was 99 fsw. The focus on this dive was the coral and sharks - Auston carried a pole spear and fed a few lionfish to the Caribbean Reef sharks that showed up. Once they came in, they swam around us for most of the dive. Also saw a Green Moray and what appeared to be a quite healthy reef - lots of fans, etc.

During the surface interval the crew changed over the tanks for people using rental gear and offered to do it for those of us with our own gear. Graham cracker-type cookies and water were provided. After another briefing, we hit the water for the M/V Talata wreck site. There's actually a smaller, unnamed wreck that we dropped on, then swam over the reef to the Talata wreck.

I'd definitely go out with Pro Divers again. The crew was friendly, the boat was clean and organized. Seems like a very good operation. Below is my first attempt at a dive video (or any video, to be honest).

Thank you for your report. I dive St. Kitts back in 1993 and the reefs where not as healthy as you describe now. Was your dive a drift dive or the boat tied to a buoy marker, morring line?

Nice report and video. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your report. I dive St. Kitts back in 1993 and the reefs where not as healthy as you describe now. Was your dive a drift dive or the boat tied to a buoy marker, morring line?
We anchored at both sites. The Brimstone Shallows, if I recall correctly, didn't have a mooring line. There is one at the Talata, but we dropped anchor near it, and the boat drifted back toward the first wreck. We dropped down on that, then swam over the reef up to the Talata and the anchor line.

Appreciate the trip report from your cruise stop in St. Kitts. It's a place I hardly see any trip reports for, unless mentioned as a side show from a Saba liveaboard trip about the Caribbean Explorer, where Saba diving seems to be the bigger draw. I've never dove in St. Kitts; I visited on a cruise stop and did a topside variety tour, and it was a beautiful island!

St. Kitts seems to me to join St. Thomas and St. Martin/Maarten as a destination people sometimes dive on cruise stops, but I don't see many reports of dedicated dive trips there, and I wonder if these island merit more serious consideration for that, since they have appealing topsides.

There were two ships in port that day, and some of the other divers were from the other ship while some were staying at local hotels. I gathered that some of them had booked multiple days of diving with Pro Divers.
That blurb offers 2 interesting points. 1.) Some people did stayed on-island and did multi-day dives, which is good! Wonder if they went to St. Kitts just to dive? 2.) They mixed cruise ship and on-island divers, which some divers may not like (out of concern they might avoid more lush but delicate sites since they don't know how inept/damaging the cruise divers may be).
The focus on this dive was the coral and sharks - Auston carried a pole spear and fed a few lionfish to the Caribbean Reef sharks that showed up. Once they came in, they swam around us for most of the dive.
Another blurb with 2 interesting points. 1.) A lot of divers want to see sharks, and see them close, preferably sharks that look like sharks (e.g.: not just nurse sharks), and aren't too menacing (reef sharks fit the bill). 2.) Some people have issues with seeing lionfish killed and/or shark feeding, so for them, good to know.

Useful details you gave. I went to Pro Divers St. Kitts' website and turned up another useful bit; they have 100-cf tanks available.

Richard.

Thanks for the report. I'm going to be diving with them on Jan 31st when I'm there on the Anthem of the Seas. Glad to hear you had a good experience.

Appreciate the trip report from your cruise stop in St. Kitts. It's a place I hardly see any trip reports for, unless mentioned as a side show from a Saba liveaboard trip about the Caribbean Explorer, where Saba diving seems to be the bigger draw. I've never dove in St. Kitts; I visited on a cruise stop and did a topside variety tour, and it was a beautiful island!

St. Kitts seems to me to join St. Thomas and St. Martin/Maarten as a destination people sometimes dive on cruise stops, but I don't see many reports of dedicated dive trips there, and I wonder if these island merit more serious consideration for that, since they have appealing topsides.

That blurb offers 2 interesting points. 1.) Some people did stayed on-island and did multi-day dives, which is good! Wonder if they went to St. Kitts just to dive? 2.) They mixed cruise ship and on-island divers, which some divers may not like (out of concern they might avoid more lush but delicate sites since they don't know how inept/damaging the cruise divers may be).

Another blurb with 2 interesting points. 1.) A lot of divers want to see sharks, and see them close, preferably sharks that look like sharks (e.g.: not just nurse sharks), and aren't too menacing (reef sharks fit the bill). 2.) Some people have issues with seeing lionfish killed and/or shark feeding, so for them, good to know.

Useful details you gave. I went to Pro Divers St. Kitts' website and turned up another useful bit; they have 100-cf tanks available.

Richard.
Hello. We crossed paths recently on a thread about our Turks and Caico Explorer. I'm the Captain with explorer ventures. As Captain I sometimes operate our Caribbean Explorer. I can only speak to the sites that we do on the St Kitts part of our trip but they are excellent , which is the good news for us , not so good for cruise ship divers or those staying on island since they almost never make the trip to the northwest part of the island.
We do 12-15 dives in St Kitts , all fabulous with some more macro than the rest.
I wouldn't really consider it a place for a week long dive trip but a week long trip doing a dozen dives or more is a pretty good week.
Providing of course that the operator would go those extra miles , which they would gladly do for the right price

Hello. We crossed paths recently on a thread about our Turks and Caico Explorer. I'm the Captain with explorer ventures. As Captain I sometimes operate our Caribbean Explorer. I can only speak to the sites that we do on the St Kitts part of our trip but they are excellent , which is the good news for us , not so good for cruise ship divers or those staying on island since they almost never make the trip to the northwest part of the island.
We do 12-15 dives in St Kitts , all fabulous with some more macro than the rest.
I wouldn't really consider it a place for a week long dive trip but a week long trip doing a dozen dives or more is a pretty good week.
Providing of course that the operator would go those extra miles , which they would gladly do for the right price
Hello @bmag78 , do you recommend a dive shop on the North of St. Kitts for those staying in the island?

Hello @bmag78 , do you recommend a dive shop on the North of St. Kitts for those staying in the island?
Hello. The Northwest part of the island is entirely residential and almost entirely non-commercial. The dive operators leave from Port Zante Marina. I'm not sure how fast the boats go but it's at least an hour each way.
The original post mentions Pro Divers who sound like they run a good operation. The only one that I have dealt with is Kenneth's who runs a pretty good show as well.
It seems like much of their business is geared towards cruise ships and people staying at the local resorts who go diving casually. It's definitely not in the same category as Cozumel or Roatan but there's a dozen solid dives to be had in St Kitts
I'm sure they would go to the Northwest part of the island by special arrangement but it makes for kind of a long day. There is a marina out there where they could maybe pick you up and save you an hour or so on the boat ride.
On the Explorer ventures Facebook page there is a post of a recent trip from St Kitts. Scroll down just a little bit and have a look. Enjoy

That is a nice report. I went diving with them from a Celebrity cruise in December and I liked the operation too. I was very glad to see Auston spearing the lionfish. He speared six in a single dive, three of which attracted Caribbean reef sharks that took them off the spear. There was no threat to the divers whatsoever. They were laser focused on the end of that spear. One of the sharks even politely and daintily took the lionfish while the other two came at it with a little more speed. I love watching shark behavior and it was fascinating!

I found the reef to be pretty healthy by today's Caribbean standards and Auston found his favorite frogfish which was about 3 inches long. That was cool!

I enjoyed it enough that I wanted to come back, but after inquiring, they said they don't run the boat with less than 4 divers, and that's too risky for me. Apparently, they rely heavily on the cruise ships, which are not there from June to October/November, so there's no guarantee you'll go diving on any given day. On the day I was there, we had 6 cruise ship divers and 5 on-island divers.

Edit/Additional Info: There is no Nitrox on the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom