Private diving in the USVI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TracyT24

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am headed to the BVI and USVI in early December with my family, where we will charter a sailboat and sail around the islands on our on. We carry our own equipment and tanks on board so that we can scuba dive wherever we want (I am a dive instructor).

Does anyone know how it works in terms of this kind of diving (ie: private) in the USVI? In the BVI you can use specially designated mooring balls for non-commercial vessels at the various dive sites, usually on a first come first serve basis. Is this same kind of arrangement available in the USVI? Ie: is it possible to dive the sites in the USVI on your own, without a dive operater, where there may be mooring balls available?

Any advice would be great! I have all kinds of dive guides and sailing guides to the USVI but none seem to mention what the deal is with people who are diving on their own. They only seem to discuss the available dive operators to use once there.

Happy diving to everyone!

Yes, the mooring balls are for any sail or motor boat. You do not have to be commercial. There are also dive operators that will bring tanks to your boat (with prior arrangement and for the right price).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom