Private Boat in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir

The Voice of Reason
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A good friend has invited me to go diving with him off his private boat in Phuket. It's a good-sized boat, over 40 feet, and that's all I know about it. I am sure he's a competent skipper, but neither he nor I have any experience conducting dive operations on our own. I am thinking of hiring a divemaster or two to accompany us; ideally somebody who can navigate to the sites visited by the commercial boats, bring emergency oxygen, supply tanks, give a dive briefing, and either stay on the boat or dive for their own leisure. Is this commonly done? Are there any restrictions on a private boat mooring at, say, Shark Point, or Koh Doc Mai? What should it cost? Thanks.

Pleasure boats can certainly do what you suggest, and many of us can supply enough tanks, weights, emergency O2, etc. It's a lot of work, though, to load all that stuff on and off a boat, so whoever went with you as a dive guide would need to consider that part of it in addition to the standard private dive guide fee.

The bigger problem, as I see it, is that most of our dives here are drifts, so if your friend drives the boat and also wants to dive with you, who's going to pick you up at the end of the dive? Sometimes small boats tie up to the rock at Shark Point, but in general, the dive boats don't moor at all at these two dive sites. Mooring is possible at Anemone Reef, though.

I have done some longtail diving at Shark Point, 'moored' to the rock.
Not ideal, and no way would I abandon the boat without anybody able to pick up the divers at the end of the dive.

Why not just offer some 'free diving' to local dive pros?

As a dive pro myself, I enjoy relaxed junkets, where I am not having to shepherd customers. It also gives a chance to visit less obvious/new sites, do some mapping etc.

If I was in the area, I'd be happy to come along on your trip... I am sure others would too. :)

Back
Top Bottom