Suggestion Print/Download all pages of a thread for offline viewing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
CuriousRambler

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There's an incredible amount of information on this site. As I'm trying to get back into diving, and improve my knowledge and skills, I find myself here almost daily (if not more) setting the wayback machine to search out old threads on topics I'm curious about. Many of these discussions go on for many pages, which is fantastic. I often have four or five tabs open to different threads waiting to be read.

Is there any existing option, or any possibility of adding an option to create a "printable" version of an entire thread, or a mechanism to download the entire discussion as one document? I travel a lot for work, and it would be awesome if I could save a few of these longer discussions as PDFs to read offline on planes and such. I understand there's some conflict of interest in the idea, since the board is ad supported, and you'd essentially be removing X number of new page loads per thread downloaded, so perhaps make it a feature available to paying supporters only? I would gladly pay $40/year to have offline access to the information contained here. Lord knows I've paid that many times for a book that isn't nearly as diverse.

@JoeFriday: OK. Color me interested.

So for $35 I get one year's worth of access to several hundred Xenforo addons? Addons to what??? My browser?

To the "Powers That Be" who make the SB gears turn: Do the unwashed masses have access to these addons?

@JoeFriday: OK. Color me interested.

So for $35 I get one year's worth of access to several hundred Xenforo addons? Addons to what??? My browser?

To the "Powers That Be" who make the SB gears turn: Do the unwashed masses have access to these addons?
Nope. The software used by ScubaBoard is called XenForo. The link provided is a software add-on that would have to be installed on the ScubaBoard XenForo server.

This looks like exactly what I'd like to see!

The issue with things like FiveFilters is that they tend to only capture one page of a given thread. I can easily do a regular "Print to PDF" from my browser, but then I have to manually print every page in the thread, and then have 8, 10, or 30 individual PDF documents that constitute one "thread." There are online PDF combiners that can stack all the separate PDF pages into one document, but by that point it's taken me as long or longer to save the thread into an offline readable document, as it would have taken me to simply read it online. If I had that much time to spare with an internet connection, I'd just read it online :D.

Nothing currently exists within Xenforo to do thiis.When I get some time I will look for a plug-in we can install.

I will notify here if find one.

Nothing currently exists within Xenforo to do thiis.When I get some time I will look for a plug-in we can install.

I will notify here if find one.
See post #2 above. It is a paid for add-on for XenForo 2.

"Description:

Allows exporting contents of a thread.

This add-on will show the entire thread as one page. It's useful should you want to save the thread as a PDF document."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom