Princeton Tec Torrent 3 Watt L.E.D. Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajy733

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to buy a light for occasional dusk and night diving. I don't want to spend a fortune and I do not want something big and bulky. I was considering this one but am a bit confused as to whether 95 lumens is enough. I really want something about this size for about $100 or so if thats possible. Any suggestions?

You can get 1000 lumens for $90 from DRIS (DRIS Dive Gear 1000 Lumen Dive Light - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL). If you want a bright light that's your best bet. However for night diving, brighter is rarely better. I would suggest for night diving you get a couple of Princeton Tec Impact XL for $30 each. They're 65 lumens which is more than enough for night diving. The Torrent is a large light for the relatively small amount of light you get from it, and overpriced (though if you do get one, don't pay $100, fair price is $60-70).

The Princeton Tex Torrent eLED is 126 Lumens and we sell it for $69 or you can get the UK SL4 which is 400 Lumens and it is $90.

I use the Torrent LED for back up lights when cave diving. They are solid and reliable lights with excellent burn time.

in the $100 range the Big Blue 250 lumen adjustable focus is a great choice. They are very bright, take only 3aaa batteries and have an adjustable beam from 8-31 degrees. Teknitroxdiver mentioned that brighter isn't always better in night diving, agreed. By being able to open the focus on the light you get a nice view without washing out your subject. Don't waste the money on the available glove as you can't change the focus with the light in it. I believe I paid $95 for mine on Amazon just a couple weeks ago. I put a short review of it on here after giving them a try. Another thing, lumen ratings can be deceiving. Some lights lumen ratings are set by the manufacturer, so beware! The big blue is bright and versitile.

I have two of these (liked the first one so much I bought another). We were in the Turks/Caicos a few years ago and several people commented on how well my light seemed to work underwater. It's also small, fits in my BC pocket, has no switch to break and takes AAA batteries. A set of batteries lasted thru 5 nights of night dives with no loss of output.

They're made by Dorcy but Piranha rebrands them as Penetrater - if you buy it from Piranha it will say Dorcy on the handle when you get it.

Anodized Aluminum, twist-on, double o-ring seal, glass lens, 220 lumens for $42.99 Penetrater 220, Piranha Dive Manufacturing

1560-2714.jpg

for clear water diving, it is better to get a light with a wide beam, which also means you should have a decent amount of lumens because the light is spread over a wider area. Some of the above has 11 deg angle, which is pretty narrow.

Back
Top Bottom