Primer vs. Fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lv2dive

Formerly known as KatePNAtl
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am bringing this discussion here, as a generic topic. It came up in another forum, where it turned into a relatively benign (as those things go) DIR/GUE-bashing thread. :idk:

Anyway, we have a sticky for "Common Fundies Mistakes" that I think speaks to a lot of this, but I didn't think I'd seen a thread that was specifically related to choosing between the two classes. I'm curious as to what others would say.

When considering Primer vs. Fundies, my generic advice would be:
- Talk to people who have taken the class with the instructor you are considering - perhaps even before talking to the instructor themselves. Make sure your skill level, and your goals, are aligned with their teaching style. THEN talk with the instructor about which class.
- If you have any question about your skills level/proficiency regarding trim or buoyancy, strongly consider taking Primer... the worst that will happen is that you will spend a little money to be that much more squared away for Fundies. Remember - trim and buoyancy can be impacted be stress - so put yourself in some artificially stressful situations and make sure you can still hold trim/tightly control buoyancy - if you can't, even more strongly consider primer. :wink:
- if you don't have anyone with any DIR background who can give you advice/mentorship before the class, consider taking Primer first unless you really think you are squared away.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom