Primary and Secondary "Switch-a-Roo"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonasGreenFethr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
As a new gear owner, and a new diver (recently started again after my OW and a 6 year break), here's my question: Is it worth rotating the primary and secondary reg? Gear / activity details:
- both are identical (Hollis 212, love this reg!)
- primary is on long hose
- secondary is short hose, necklace
- 2 - 3 dives a month (freshwater, so far).

Is there any benefit in swapping them every [interval]? It seems logical to alternate (new diver logic operating here). Otherwise, one reg is used all the time (wearing out) and one reg just "hangs there" (waiting for its moment in the spot light).

When I am diving single tank I breath off both my primary and bungeed backup on every dive. The one that will develop an issue will be the one you never or rarely use not the one that you use all the time.

there is no harm in swapping them on any chosen interval as long as they are tuned the same. No harm in not changing them though either and since it takes all of 30 seconds you aren't out much time. I don't personally change mine over, but since I dive sidemount most of the time they both get about equal use. For backmount dedicated rigs, I will breathe the secondary pretty regularly for gear checks and sanity breaths to make sure everything is working properly which is enough to keep the seats moving enough. So I guess six is one, half dozen the other and there is no harm in swapping them over

What they both said.
It's not like you wear them out. I've got 2nds that are a couple decades old and working fine. It's more like dropping, dragging, general wear and tear, and not using them at all so they corrode and seize up is more of an issue.
Good rinsing is critical of course.

I dive doubles backmount and I always make a habit of breathing my backup second stage at intervals through my dive. Firstly to make sure it gets use as you are pointing out, as well for me it is a piece of mind that my back up is indeed working, rather than finding something wrong when I may need it.

What they both said.
It's not like you wear them out. I've got 2nds that are a couple decades old and working fine. It's more like dropping, dragging, general wear and tear, and not using them at all so they corrode and seize up is more of an issue.
Good rinsing is critical of course.
Same. I've not switched them for 11 years & both are still fine (bought the reg used and have no idea how old it is now). I always rinsed thoroughly.

breathe your secondary at safety stops.

Since we are supposed to get all regs serviced annually, the wear-out parts get replaced so that's not a worry.

I breathe my secondary at the beginning of the dive, no sense finding out it has a problem when you need it.

As for swapping seconds around, the only first and second of mine that stay together all the time is my old Posiedon, I just use whatever second I happen to like at the time.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom