Primary and Octo Hose Lengths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the years I have had to donate several times. The first time my long hose was deployed I realized I'll never go back to the so called recreational set up. The longer hose allows for more space and ease of diving. If people could practice with both lengths many will discover the longer hose is much easier to work with. Sadly, many people don't even want to try or even know the choice is out there.

Most students learn to ascend directly to the surface during the out of air drill. This is not always the best option. The best route may be to swim towards the exit point to avoid hazards, such as rough seas or boaters. Being able to swim without being crowded is very nice.

There are many schools of thought on this topic. Dive, dive some more, then dive some more and use your own personal experience and judgement to make a decision. You were probably trained in one method, gradually switch to other methods and try them. Usually all you are out is a hose that you could always keep as a spare. If you use a safe second such as the Atomic SS1 you have yet another method. Make a decision based upon your experience and on what's good for you. The opinions you read here are what fits each person on this site based upon their own experience and preference.
Whatever you choose you won't be wrong.
Larry
www.KeyLargoDiveCenter.com

... What's the current school of thought on this?

My Primary is 32 inches and my necklaced Octo is 36 inches.
Just for grins,,,,The hose on my handheld 6 cuft pony is only 8 inches !!

My Primary is 32 inches and my necklaced Octo is 36 inches.
Just for grins,,,,The hose on my handheld 6 cuft pony is only 8 inches !!

Necklaced octo is on a 36" hose? Does it run under you're arm? explain.

Necklaced octo is on a 36" hose? Does it run under you're arm? explain.

Yep under the arm so only the hose drags in the sand and traditional R190 octo so I can swap parts out on the boat if there is a problem with with primary.

I'm a solo lobster hunter so I keep almost nothing on my front side while up to my shoulder getting a tough bug out of a hole.

Last edited:
Yep under the arm so only the hose drags in the sand and traditional R190 octo so I can swap parts out on the boat if there is a problem with with primary.

I'm a solo lobster hunter so I keep almost nothing on my front side while up to my shoulder getting a tough bug out of a hole.

So a 18"or 22" hose from the first stage for the necklace wouldn't work?

So a 18"or 22" hose from the first stage for the necklace wouldn't work?
Not for my type of diving.
Rarely but on occasion I've had to take off and lay my tank next to a ledge opening so I can fit inside the ledge and retrieve my spear & grouper that is just out of reach while using the longer octo hose only. Some may say then use a 7' hose, but that's too long for me doing weekly ocean dives. (But I do use a 7' when I'm cave diving) The 36" is both long enough if needed and short enough to manage every dive.

Back
Top Bottom