Price for Driver from CUN to Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ljwillia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Folks-

We're doing the bag drag for the first time in July. We usually just fly into COZ but the price is ridiculous this year. I plan on contacting the driver that @cvchief usually uses. He's given me an idea of what we should pay in pesos for 4 people. My problem is, I have not idea how to negotiate this.

I want to make reservations in advance. What is the etiquette here? Do I ask for a specific price or wait for him to send me a figure? If it's too high do I just tell him I want to pay "X"?

I appreciate any help/suggestions.

Thanks!

If you're talking about Jose, offer him 850 pesos each way. That was the lowest rate last time I used him. That's for all of you, not per person.

You can just say "Jose, I understand that your rate for a Cancun airport to Playa van transfer is 850 pesos? If that is correct, we would like to arrange transfers on X dates"

I plan on contacting the driver that @cvchief usually uses. He's given me an idea of what we should pay in pesos for 4 people. My problem is, I have not idea how to negotiate this.

I want to make reservations in advance. What is the etiquette here?
I've used that Van guy Jose a few times. Just tell him when you want to travel and ask for a quote. He was very reasonable. The drivers were good, altho not perfect. If yours is ontime and doesn't get lost, both likely, I'd tip 150 pesos or $8 USD.

You may also look into CARM Transfers if Jose doesnt come through, I use them when we go to Isla Mujeres.

Little more expensive but they are 1st class all the way. Can do private van for 4 for $139 round trip. Nice thing is they will be waiting for you at the airport and then at the ferry when you go back. They will also have cold beer/water etc if you want it. Cant recommend them enough from my own experience when our plane was delayed 12 hours on the way to Isla Mujeres. They were answering emails at 10pm on a saturday and got us to the last ferry over to Isla Mujeres and saved the day!

Super Shuttle round-trip is $72 USD for shared van, $66 for a taxi (I doubt four people with dive gear would fit) or $90 for a private van. Go to their site, get the quotes (which will be higher), and then try to navigate away from the page. You should get a pop-up for 10% off, which is reflected in the rates here. This is pretty much the same as the 850 peso OW rate above.

If you haven't flown into Cancun before, realize that there will be touts that will absolutely, flat-out LIE to you about whatever mode of transport you choose. I've had them tell me that the free shuttle between terminals costs $200 pesos and runs every 45 minute (it's free and runs every twenty minutes), or that ADO to Playa runs every three hours and the bus just left (it runs every twenty minutes). Of course, they can help you right now ...

There's less of this if you don't exit the secured arrivals area, but try to have a good idea where you're meeting your driver beforehand. I think Super Shuttle has a desk inside the arrivals areas.

Haha, yeah. Don’t ask anyone any questions, don’t answer any questions and just say, “No, thank you,” and walk straight past anyone who tries to stop you.

we always use a PRIVATE , new, great a/c van from playadelcarmentours .com/ they pick u up inside - always on time- always super helpful and friendly- and super efficient- you are on your way FAST; you can call them 24/7/365, speak perfect english, transaction handled quickly and professionally over the phone with followup email confirm and ticket; if you want, they will pull over and let you buy some beer for the 45' trip (sometimes they have beer and water in the van to sell - cheap); in PdC they drop you at oxxo on 10th ave where the bike luggage fellas are waiting to help with bags down to the ferry; we also set up our return trip at the same time; have NEVER had a problem; the total cost of the VAN , round trip, is $100 excluding tip; the van can carry up to 8 people - for divers with lots of gear, would prolly handle 4 or 5 ( which is $20-25/ person); i don't think there is a more time efficient, reliable, cost effective way to "bag drag" from cancun airport to PdC ferry ( i've used taxis, ADO bus, mayair) - all are fine; but where else are you gonna get private, fast transportation ROUNDTRIP service for this price?

I have used super shuttle a few times.
$20 for each person
Great service
Clean vans
Fluent in English
Multiple vans
Drop off at the tricycle station
Bags transfered directly to tricycle by driver.
No dragging involved except for the pier itself and onto the ferry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom