Pressure & Depth Gauge or Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone

I am new to diving and have passed my OW course. I am in the process of buying my own gear and would like to know if I should purchase a pressure and depth gauge console having already purchased a Suunto Eon Core dive computer? Should I just trust my computer or would you recommend back up in case something fails?

Until I get more experience and extra training I intend to be diving recreationally in tropical waters.

A newbie’s dilemma

Cheers!

If you already have the computer, just get a SPG. I dislike consoles. They’re bulky and too many people let them drag. I hate danglies. :wink:

Greetings and welcome to ScubaBoard! If you have the wireless tank transmitter, that's all you really need....

I agree with the previous two. The EON Core is a pretty solid, reliable computer, so it's really all you need. If you want to have some redundancy, though, get an inexpensive analog SPG with nothing fancy and none of the other stuff that goes into a console. Tie some knots between 15 and 20 feet on your DSMB line so you know where to do you safety stop in the event of a computer depth gauge failure. If you are just diving for your own fun and enjoyment, in the low probability of a computer failure, you will just have to end your dive and take a 24 hour break (while you get a new computer, change a battery, whatever needs to be done), and then you can get back in. As an instructor, I carry two computers and a backup SPG in open water because that very low probability is offset by a much higher risk when my inability be in the water means that up to 8 other people are no longer getting certified that weekend.

If you already have the computer, just get a SPG. I dislike consoles. They’re bulky and too many people let them drag. I hate danglies. :wink:

Yeah......ditch the brick.

An AI computer is all you need. If your computer breaks just come up slow. Being able to do that anytime is the whole point of rec diving.m! Analog backup instruments in your luggage might save your trip so that’s nice to have, no need to take that redundancy in the water at your level.

Stick with the computer. They're plenty reliable these days.

Back
Top Bottom