Pressed Steel and regulator connections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeabroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Quick question about the Pressed Steel E series: with their Yoke/DIN Valve are you able to use the yoke connection (as opposed to the DIN connection) at full pressure (3442 psi) or only when the tank is filled to 3000 psi or less?

Answer: full pressure.

I even use the yoke at 3900psi sometimes. But, o-ring need to be replaced more regularly....

Full pressure I have a 3300 PSI tank and have not had any regulator issues yet. As stated above keep some spare O-rings handy and keep an eye on them for wear and replace the now and then. I am also sure the yoke thats on your reg is rated for 3400 but I am not completely sure this is an issue and you may want to double check this.

What if you move to Viton Orings for the (j)Yoke connection? Think the wear issues will be the same as the Trident black flake master Orings?

I use DIN, and have been using Viton Orings forever. I've never needed to change one out due to flaking and stuff. Usually I just lose them...

On the other hand, the blackies in the (j)Yoke valves on the rentals are often just shredded chunks.

Just curious.

Thanks

---
Ken

I am also using DIN and Yoke interchangeably. I don’t know why I am still using Yoke though.:wink: Sometimes, I am so lazy to the screw out the insert. LOL~~~

As for O-ring, I never tried Viton ring on my regular air tanks because I am not sure if it is worth or not. I am using EPDM ring. It is only 2 cent per ring. So, I don’t care replacing o-rings every day.:D

Mo2vation:
What if you move to Viton Orings for the (j)Yoke connection? Think the wear issues will be the same as the Trident black flake master Orings?

I use DIN, and have been using Viton Orings forever. I've never needed to change one out due to flaking and stuff. Usually I just lose them...

On the other hand, the blackies in the (j)Yoke valves on the rentals are often just shredded chunks.

Just curious.

Thanks

---
Ken

Technically, you can use either one, but, practically, it is recommended that you use the DIN connection. So, get the DIN conversion kit and change your first stage to DIN. My LDS did it for $60 w/ parts and labor. Although, you could probably use the yoke for years and never experience a problem. IMHO, if the conversion cost was high, I'd stick with the Yoke, but for the cheap money I thought it was worth it.

LobstaMan

Yes full pressure. I emailed Pressed Steel and asked for the recommendations and they inducated you don't have to reduce the pressure with a yoke valve.

This has been brought up before. The issuse is the regulator and not the tank valve. Many Yoke connections, even on new regulators (Scupapro for one) are not rated to handle 3442psi. To be on the safe side you should sitch you reg over to din.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom