PRESS RELEASE: Majestic Explorer (06.01.2019)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EVMarketing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We are sad to announce that in the early morning hours of May 31, 2019, we were notified by our Galapagos partners that the Majestic Explorer ran aground in the Central Galapagos Islands. Thankfully, all guests and crew were unhurt and evacuated safely to a nearby vessel, and returned to Santa Cruz.

Although the initial damage to the Majestic Explorer was minor, the vessel was unable to move. In the ensuing 6 hours before another vessel was able to assist, wave action caused further damage which unfortunately rendered the beautiful Majestic Explorer unsalvageable.

We are in the process of notifying upcoming guests and their agents directly and are working to identify options to accommodate guests scheduled to travel aboard Majestic Explorer over the next 6-7 weeks with as little disruption to their long-planned vacations as possible. We are planning to have a suitable vessel able to take over her charter schedule and itinerary by mid-July and should be able to announce more information on that plan within the next 7 days.

As it happens, designs have already been drawn up to build the next generation of Galapagos diving liveaboard. We are accelerating those plans, and should soon be able to announce a 2020 start date for the newest member of our Galapagos fleet. Existing Majestic Explorer bookings as of that date will be transferred to the new vessel.

To those whom this unwelcome news about Majestic Explorer affects, please accept our sincerest apologies for the change to your vacation plans, and be assured that we are doing everything in our power to minimize the disruption. Everyone involved in Majestic Explorer’s operation over the past year is distraught at her untimely loss.

We appreciate your patience as we work through the list of upcoming guests. For further information, please contact Diana Heaton at diana@explorerventures.com.

:(

Glad everyone was OK.

And then there was the cruise ship that ran into a tourist ship and a dock in Venice, the day before yesterday.

Yes, these things happen but people can get badly hurt and worse. Everyone has a right to be concerned and yet, we are still statistically in more danger as we drive to the airport or the boat dock.

I don't think anyone on this thread was really concerned. Everyone was ok, so at the end of the day that's what matters most. I do wonder if anyone was able to save their gear / luggage. I would typically bring over 20k worth of gear on a trip like this; so it would be rather heart breaking to lose all that stuff... And I also find this specific topic interesting due to the fact that I almost booked a June 1st departure as they were running a $2,000 off regular rate special (so I was especially thankful I wasn't sitting in the Ecuador airport right now).

UPDATE: 5 June 2019

As we announced on June 1, our Galapagos vessel Majestic Explorer ran aground early in the morning of May 31, 2019 and is unsalvageable. Environmental effects were very limited and mitigation efforts will continue as necessary, in conjunction with the Galapagos National Park, until the vessel is removed. Although we’re endlessly thankful that all guests and crew were unhurt, we’re saddened that the loss of the vessel has and will affect so many of our guests’ travel plans.

We are continuing the process of finding alternative arrangements for upcoming guests on other vessels currently operating in the Galapagos, or refunding their fares, as appropriate. We are progressing week by week and appreciate everyone’s patience as we work through the long list of upcoming guests whose plans have been affected.

Plans had already been drawn up by our Ecuadorian partners for Galapagos’ newest liveaboard, a larger and updated Majestic sharing the same basic design. They plan to begin construction as soon as possible. We anticipate that the keel will be laid within weeks, with construction and sea trials occurring within 8 months or so. We are also exploring, simultaneously, an option that would allow the resumption of operations sooner, and will know more whether that is possible within the next 1 to 2 weeks.

We had been well into negotiations to charter another vessel by the end of July 2019 to accommodate our guests from that point forward. Unfortunately, as we attempted to finalize details our partners’ many years of experience with running vessels in Galapagos allowed identification of some hurdles to vessel operations that, until resolved, leave too great a chance for further guest disappointment. Accordingly, we are working through upcoming reservations to either reschedule them, move them to another vessel or destination, or refund them, as they’d prefer.

Once again, thank you for your kind thoughts, and your patience. For further information, please contact us at info@explorerventures.com

I don't blame Explorer Ventures-- our rep Jennifer has been excellent at taking care of us and we are all getting a full refund. I really feel sorry for them. But only 1 couple from our 16 group charter of friends was able to get on another boat next week. Half of us are still going and will try to make the best of things, but I hope whoever fell asleep at the wheel is fired! (I would say what I really hope for him, but I know I would get flamed lol).
It's a week later and I am still scrambling trying to change hotel reservations, flights and ferries during peak season at the last minute. Very stressful.

UPDATE: JUNE 7, 2019 - The following is an update to the previous release as shown above.

As we announced on June 1, the Majestic Explorer ran aground early in the morning of May 31, 2019 and is unsalvageable. Environmental effects were very limited and mitigation efforts will continue as necessary, in conjunction with the Galapagos National Park, until the vessel is removed. Although we’re endlessly thankful that all guests and crew were unhurt, we’re saddened that the loss of the vessel has and will affect so many of our guests’ travel plans.

Plans had already been drawn up by our Ecuadorian partners for Galapagos’ newest liveaboard, a larger and updated Majestic sharing the same basic design. While we had been exploring arrangements for alternate vessels that may be available more quickly, we have concluded that it will best serve our clients to concentrate all our resources on starting construction of the replacement vessel as soon as possible. We anticipate that the keel will be laid within weeks, with construction and sea trials occurring within 8 months or so. The new vessel will be ready for charter in the Galapagos by April 1, 2020, and reservations as of that date remain unaffected.

We are continuing the process of finding alternative arrangements for upcoming guests on other vessels currently operating in the Galapagos, rescheduling them, reaccommodating on one of our other itineraries, or refunding their fares, as appropriate. We will be providing future trip credits for those affected, and will make sure that uninsured change fees or unusable flight costs are dealt with fairly. We are progressing week by week and appreciate everyone’s patience as we work through the long list of upcoming guests whose plans have been affected.

Once again, we are sorry for the disruption to so many peoples’ travel plans, and we thank you all for both your kind thoughts, as well as your continued patience. For further information, please contact us at info@explorerventures.com.

Please advice.

Our group has booked scuba-diving trip Majestic Explorer in August 2019. Our group are from Bangkok, Thailand which we have to take more than 30 hours flights. Now we don't know what to do with the trip since we bought and booked all flights and hotels related to this trip and they are fixed dates and non-refundable.

Back
Top Bottom