Presented as a public service . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Ever wondered what a flooded dive computer looks like? Wonder no more:
Flooded computer.jpg

- Ken

Have you tried cleaning the contacts and a new battery , not said entirely in jest. I have had a similar problem, but not as much battery corrosion, as yours shows. I found out that in some computers the battery compartment is sealed and isolated from the rest of the computer. If you can get the contacts clean, you may be able to get it to power up and recover the history at least.

@Ken Kurtis

You just became a member of an exclusive club-- one which I do not want a member ship
condolences and congratulations ??? are in order
As the founder and card first carrying member of

" There has never been a computer made I could"t flood club "

Sam Miller III
founder
" There was never a fish to big to spear"
"There was never a camera housing I couldn't flood "
NAUI Instructor # A 27
retired

remember -- It is only money $$$$

I don't want this to sound like a lecture and I appreciate the commiseration but I'm going to make a larger point nthat I hope will carry over to those that post in "Accidents & Incidents" when I next harp about assuming facts not in evidence: Why do you think it's MY computer? I never said whose it was.

In reality, it's one of my group here in Roatan (Oceanic Proplus 2). We believe the culprit was one of the four screws that seals the battery compartment door. Screw #4 just didn't seem to seat right and fully down when I changed the battery for her Saturday afternoon. Wednesday afternoon, it died. So I'm not surprised it flooded.

Having dealt with these before, we did exactly as Russjsstewart mentioned and cleaned everything out as good as we could, dried it all off, put in a new battery, sealed it back up with a new o-ring, and made sure we used all new screws. I'm still not too nuts about the way screw #4 went down - again - and somewhat expect it to flood again because I think there's something wrong with the threaded slot into which the screw is seating. Just doesn't feel right. But I torqued it down pretty good this time so we shall see. And it worked fine today on two dives.

We plan on opening it Friday afternoon when were done diving to see if any water's getting in.

- Ken

Screw #4 just didn't seem to seat right and fully down when I changed the battery for her Saturday afternoon. Wednesday afternoon, it died. So I'm not surprised it flooded.

If it is a screw into plastic, it probably stripped the plastic threads. I've not had as good a luck with this in plastic as wood. The fix is putting a bit of plastic in the hole to get a new bite, but plastic is less compressible than wood and the units I've tried to fix usually breaks on me. Good luck.

Bob

Screw #4 just didn't seem to seat right and fully down when I changed the battery for her Saturday afternoon.
I don't know Ken. The tension on the screws should have little effect on that particular seal. The seal appears to come from the sides as opposed to the pressure of the fasteners. You can't bee too clean with these and the use of any type of grease really helps here.

Take it to your oceanic dealer when you get back. There was a post a few weeks ago about Oceanic not servicing the Pro Plus 2 and more and upgrading the computer to the Pro Plus X for less than 300. My wife's GLO light no longer functions so it's going back when we get home from Cozumel next Monday.

Good luck, safe travels
Jay

Take it to your oceanic dealer when you get back.
Thank you Jay. I confess I chuckled a bit at your post as I AM my Oceanic dealer. I own Reef Seekers in Beverly Hills and we're an authorized Oceanic place. :)

- Ken

I don't know Ken. The tension on the screws should have little effect on that particular seal. The seal appears to come from the sides as opposed to the pressure of the fasteners. You can't bee too clean with these and the use of any type of grease really helps here.
I agree Pete but I seated the door myself on Saturday and there's no doubt in my mind that the o-ring was properly greased and free of debris, and the door was properly/easily seated and flush with the back of the computer. The ONLY thing that was wonky was the fourth screw. No clue, just a guess.

I can say (with sad authoirty) that I flooded my D750 housing in Palau when one of three latches didn't latch. Even though this is four corners, if one corner isn't fully secured, it could (in theory) allow water to slowly seep in over time.

- Ken

Back
Top Bottom