Prescriptions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is lorazepam OTC in Mexico?

No. Almost anything that's a controlled substance in one country is a controlled substance in practically every other country.

"Regular" prescriptions (technically referred to as "legend drugs") in the US are, for the most part, available in Mexico without a prescription.

Opioids, benzodiazepines, most other sedative-hypnotics (such as "z-drugs"), anabolic steroids, and antibiotics are highly regulated in Mexico and require a prescription from a licensed Mexican physician.

No. Almost anything that's a controlled substance in one country is a controlled substance in practically every other country.

"Regular" prescriptions (technically referred to as "legend drugs") in the US are, for the most part, available in Mexico without a prescription.

Opioids, benzodiazepines, most other sedative-hypnotics (such as "z-drugs"), anabolic steroids, and antibiotics are highly regulated in Mexico and require a prescription from a licensed Mexican physician.

Ok. That's what I thought, even with all the other responses on other websites.

If I were to bring my prescription with me, how difficult would it be to get a Mexican physician to write a script to be filled in MX?

Not sure about Mexico but be very careful going in or out of the UAE.

Some OTC medicines are banned for imports and you can become a guest of the local government for not less than 4 years on any drug related offense,

Ok. That's what I thought, even with all the other responses on other websites.

If I were to bring my prescription with me, how difficult would it be to get a Mexican physician to write a script to be filled in MX?
You might be able to get your US doctor to prescribe more than normal to account for your trip. That said, bringing meds into mexico is illegal I think. Well, depending on what it is. For example sudafed could potentially get you in big trouble.

That said, I've done it. And had my bag searched with it in there.. but it turned out the customs guy just wanted to steal my batteries and ignored the meds.

I have had the prescription for many years. I think the last time it was filled was about five years ago. I don't fly that much, so I don't use it that much. Now, it's being treated like an opioid (which it isn't). My doc isn't writing any prescriptions for this or any opioid pain relievers because of the amount of time involved. He says he feels bad for his patients with legitimate chronic pain (which is not me).

So, no. I can't get him to write any script for this particular medicine (think Valium). It's definitely not illegal to bring prescribed meds into Mexico, but I wouldn't recommend anyone bring a 30 day supply of any med when only staying for a week. Oddly enough, the one thing that can get people into trouble is OTC Benadryl (from what I have read). If I bring anything like that to CZM, it's only one or two pills.

I might get into a little trouble if I brought lorazepam back to the USA, but I doubt it if I have a prescription - even from a MX doc.

Oddly enough, the one thing that can get people into trouble is OTC Benadryl (from what I have read). If I bring anything like that to CZM, it's only one or two pills.

Hmm. I've purchased it in Mexico.
I'm a bit of a tightwad, so visited a number of pharmacies looking for a generic version, and found it at Ahorro.

the one thing that can get people into trouble is OTC Benadryl
I've never heard that. I know that the original Sudafed or Pseudoephedrine (PSE) is not allowed. I never smuggle more than a week's supply, but I can't dive without it.

Hmm. I've purchased it in Mexico.
I'm a bit of a tightwad, so visited a number of pharmacies looking for a generic version, and found it at Ahorro.
Did you need a local doctor to prescribe it? I think that many drug stores keep doctors on speed dial for cheap phone consultations.

I had no idea Sudafed is illegal in MX. I can not believe I have been braking the law without know it. Coming from a dry climate to a high humidity climate I always need a few pills at the beginning of the trip. So is there a legal way to go about it? What if I have a prescription on me? Is there a bare minimal quantity allowed?

Back
Top Bottom