Prescription (Rx) mask exchange ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red_5

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
any such thing as a prescription mask exchange simillar to what they do with regular eyewear?

my daughter just received yet another new prescription. I'd like to get her certified, but I know that as soon as I get her a mask for her prescription, it'll be time for a new one (she's 13 and growing like a weed) and for the amount of use the'll get it just doesnt have a good ROI.

Some masks you can just pop out the lenses and purchase lenses of the right diopters. So you wouldn't have to buy a whole new mask. Depending on how bad her eyes are, she might not find it necessary to have correction in a mask, or keep it exactly up to date with her prescription.

Check with a local shop mine actually allowed me to swap lens when my Rx changed. I thought that this was great.

Damselfish:
Some masks you can just pop out the lenses and purchase lenses of the right diopters. So you wouldn't have to buy a whole new mask. Depending on how bad her eyes are, she might not find it necessary to have correction in a mask, or keep it exactly up to date with her prescription.
I'll second that. If she only needs moderate correction (up to about -5.00 or 6.00), and has a mask with easily-available "standard" corrective lenses (normally in half-diopter powers), it should "only" cost you about $70 to replace a set. And somebody might be able to use the old set.

And as Damselfish said, correction isn't as critical underwater. Our 14-year-old daughter (about -4.50 with moderate astigmatism in air) has been diving the same corrected mask (spherical correction) for two years, and she can still spot the cool stuff way before I can.

Plus, you daughter is getting to the age where her vision change is going to drastically slow down.

ROI? In scuba diving? :D

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom