Prescription Mask vs. Contact Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have not been blessed with perfect vision and require the use of eye glasses or contact lenses. Just curious as to the preferences of other divers with this problem.
I have used contact lenses for all previous diving activity, but wondering if there are any benefits to a prescription mask.:mean:

Hi LaDiverGuy,

Welcome to Scuba Board! I feel your pain when it comes to the issue of less than perfect vision. You see, I am blind as a bat without my glasses or contacts.

When I first got certified, I wrestled with this dilemma for quite a while before making my decision. I decided just to wear my contact lenses while diving and forego the extra expense of purchasing a prescription mask. I wear my contacts for every other activity I participate in, including running, hiking, swimming, and skiing (snow & water) and just about anything else you can think of, so I figured what the heck, diving with contacts is how it will be.

I felt a little bit justified in that decision on the first of our OW dives. One of my classmates had purchased a very nice mask with the prescription ground into the lenses. We were doing a shore dive, and there was a bit of surf. In his effort to get out past the break, my classmate got all turned around and ended up having his mask whisked off his face by the waves.

We all spent about 20 minutes looking for the mask but it was long gone. He was able to borrow our instructor's spare and complete his skills, but he was not a happy camper.

So, to make a long story short, I wear my 4 week disposable lenses when I dive and carry a spare set in my bag so that if something happens and I lose a lens, I don't have to walk around squinting to see where I am going.

At 47 I have similar vision problems.
I've had a mask with prescription lenses in it for about 10 years.
My buddy dives with contact lenses.
I tried contacts, but didn't like them diving
I have dry eyes, and diving makes it worse.
After a dive, my eyelids felt scratchy.
I do have a spare prescription mask, just incase.

My buddy, wears contacts.
He does comment of dry eyes after multiple dives
ie 2 or 3 in a day. The artificial tears work for him,when needed.

Mike

I wear my disposable soft contact lenses when I dive, and always bring a spare pair with me.

I considered whether to get a prescription mask, but I think I would rather not have to bring my glasses to wear after the dive.

My prescription is relatively light -- I have a mask with prescription lenses. Since my prescription is not harsh, the mask I bought was available with lenses that can be quickly popped in by the LDS. They have lenses for certain "common" prescriptions in stock...luckily, mine was close enough to these lenses to be able to use them. As a result, if I was to lose the mask, I could get a replacement as quickly as I can get to the LDS (most of my diving is local).

FWIW, I wear glasses and don't think I will ever switch to contacts -- thus the choice for me was simple.

Originally posted by large_diver
FWIW, I wear glasses and don't think I will ever switch to contacts -- thus the choice for me was simple.

I am apparently unable to wear contacts (those buggers hurt!) no matter wether they are soft or whatever.

I have to special order the lenses as my eyes are prety bad (20/600) but I have one mask now and another on order.

During some recent training, after switcing to my old backup mask at 60 fsw/20 msw, I remembered just why I spent the money on the perscription mask. Welcome to the world of furry fish, oh, wait, is that my buddy? I ordered a second perscription mask on my next visit to the LDS. It should be in soon.

My decision was easy as I am more comfortable in Glasses then contacts. I purchased a mask with perscription lenses and am very happy with it. My dive shop tends to camp and dive so not having to worry about contacts and their care in a tent.

My choice was .... Neither

I got LASIK surgery. Zero compliants. If anyone wants details, PM me.

I agree - LASIK solved it for me! The problems with prescription masks are (1) they aren't as precise as your regular glasses, the increments are broad so they will never be as sharp (although the refraction in the water should help), and (2) during your surface intervals you are blind until you find your glasses and replace the mask with them, or you have to keep your mask on which by that time is like sausage casing on your face! Plus you can't look as cool without sunglasses (unless you also have prescription sunglasses)

The downside of contacts is if your mask gets knocked off you'll lose them u/w....

Voln

Though not 'blind as a bat', my driver's license does indicate I should wear some correction....

I dive with contact lenses and have never had a problem. I make sure my glasses are in the car just in case.

The only time I've lost contacts in the water was when I went swimming and forgot I had them in (they're very comfortable for me) - some fish can now see real good hehehe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom