prescription lenses and cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

auberg

Registered
Reaction score
I have a new mask that I have put prescription lenses in. The lenses are from the manufacturer of the mask. (Oceanmaster) Do they have to be scrubbed like the regular lenses do, to keep fogging down?

Thanks for your help.

I always put the defog on my perscription lenses.

Check with your LDS or the manufacture.....but most custom ground lens do not req. the pre-dive prep of cleaning as do stock non-Rx lens.

auberg:
Do they have to be scrubbed like the regular lenses do, to keep fogging down?

i'd do it just to be safe. takes what, some toothpaste and five minutes?

besides, you get to play with your gear, man!

:D

texdiveguy:
Check with your LDS or the manufacture.....but most custom ground lens do not req. the pre-dive prep of cleaning as do stock non-Rx lens.

I thought so too. But our new masks have been fogging up on just the "test drives" in our local pool. So you can bet the next step will be toothpaste!

So much for what the mfg says! :froggy:

We've got four prescription masks in the family. While they wouldn't have the silicone residue on them from the factory (unless there's some silicone deposition while the masks are just lying around?), the insides of the lenses still need to be kept clean to keep them from fogging up.

Something like toothpaste works really well to cut through any gunk that might have deposited. Then whatever flavor of anti-fog or spit. (Reading that back -- yuk!!)

Make sure, though, that your lenses are indeed tempered glass. One of our masks has custom lenses made by SeaVision -- a fine company, but they seem to make their lenses out of acrylic. I'd be very leery of using toothpaste on those.

--Marek

Marek K:
Make sure, though, that your lenses are indeed tempered glass. One of our masks has custom lenses made by SeaVision -- a fine company, but they seem to make their lenses out of acrylic. I'd be very leery of using toothpaste on those.

--Marek

The last 6 years we have purchased at least two masks from Seavision and probably 3 different sets of lenses. As mentioned in my previous post, this is the first time we have NOT used toothpaste on the lenses... you read the "results". Unsatisfactory!

If the lenses ARE getting scratched from the toothpaste (which is used only a few times a year) neither of us can notice the difference. And I've been wearing glasses all my life; I'd find scratches in a flash.

I believe the key is to only use your fingertips when applying the toothpaste. The action should be gentle, not like scrubbing a pan with a brillo pad. After rinsing, the lenses (even the acrylic ones) should feel "squeeky clean" to the touch. If not, repeat the process.

FWIW,

SubMariner:
The last 6 years we have purchased at least two masks from Seavision and probably 3 different sets of lenses. As mentioned in my previous post, this is the first time we have NOT used toothpaste on the lenses... you read the "results". Unsatisfactory!

If the lenses ARE getting scratched from the toothpaste (which is used only a few times a year) neither of us can notice the difference. And I've been wearing glasses all my life; I'd find scratches in a flash.

I believe the key is to only use your fingertips when applying the toothpaste. The action should be gentle, not like scrubbing a pan with a brillo pad. After rinsing, the lenses (even the acrylic ones) should feel "squeeky clean" to the touch. If not, repeat the process.

FWIW,
Seems there was something in the papers that came with our daughter's SeaVision lenses that said to absolutely not use any kind of abrasives, in contrast to "normal" lenses. Didn't say why. I finally found on the SeaVision website that their lenses are made from acrylic (and so they seem to be; they're very thick, but very light); I figure that was why they were warning against abrasives.

Maybe toothpaste is OK, if not overdone (like with a lot of things...) but her lenses aren't having any fogging problem... I think we just cleaned them thoroughly with dishwashing detergent...

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom