Preferred Dive shops on Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SayNo2Snow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are coming to Utila for a couple of weeks in March and have accommodations booked very close to Utila dive Center, Alton's and Underwater Vision. I'm trying to decide which operator would be best for us... is there anything that distinguishes these operators apart?
We are a retired couple with 200+ dives logged, have cameras (Gopro and DSLR) we'll be bringing our own gear so rentals aren't an issue. We are nitrox certified and have no plans for additional certifications. We appreciate guides who go slower and aren't out to break any speed records...slow dives and who take the time to show interesting creatures
Would love to hear your recommendations and comments what you like best about each.

Thanks a bunch all!

My favorite is Utila Cays Diving as they go to the north side every morning (most places in town only go there once or twice a week to save gas $$$) which has the best dive sites and they only take 8 divers per boat. However they only serve the rental homes on the south shore, not Utila town.
In town UDC is my favorite BUT I would check if they're running two boats (also check with Altons), one for their students and one for fun divers like you. If you get stuck on a boat full of students your dives will be short (30 mins) and in shallow water.
In my humble opinion: Next time consider staying on the South Shore instead of town, its so much prettier and has miles of empty beaches and great snorkeling close to shore, Utila Cays Diving ( www. facebook.com/UtilaCaysDiving ) is definitely the best dive co. on the island (I've used almost all of them over the last 15 years and stayed in just about every hotel and rental home) and treasure beach is the best place to stay. ( www.facebook.com/utilabeach )

My favorite is Alton's. Beto is one of the funnies, most amazing dive guides and the overall vibe of that place is something that makes me want to go back again.The skippers are also very good in dropping you right on top of whale sharks so Altons has my recommendation for this one.

Back
Top Bottom