preference between Southern Florida or keys for a week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jf3193

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good afternoon gang. We're debating a trip in the future down the coastline from South Carolina to Florida.
We'll be in an RV, and I was planning on focusing on the keys. (been before).
The more I research, it looks like there's good quality diving in the Jupiter area for some good spots.
Does anyone here prefer diving SE Florida coasts (WPB, Jupiter, BHB) area over the keys? If so, id be interested in learning more about your thoughts on why you prefer that area over the keys.
Seasoned divers, so depths/advanced isn't an issue at either location.

There are some great dives that I enjoy in Key Largo (Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, & some other deeper wrecks), but I definitely prefer SE Florida. You have great access to both wrecks and reefs (the reefs around WPB tend to be nicer than further south). In addition, there are more opportunities for decent food in SE Florida. I find the seafood in the keys pretty awful.

There are some great dives that I enjoy in Key Largo (Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, & some other deeper wrecks), but I definitely prefer SE Florida. You have great access to both wrecks and reefs (the reefs around WPB tend to be nicer than further south). In addition, there are more opportunities for decent food in SE Florida. I find the seafood in the keys pretty awful.
thanks Ryan!

What he said. I thoroughly enjoy shore diving. You have multiple options/locations for that in SE Florida.

What he said. I thoroughly enjoy shore diving. You have multiple options/locations for that in SE Florida.
Barnaby'sDad I agree. As regulars to Bonaire, i'm a shore diving addict. Best shore diving in the area (BHB obviously on the list)?

Barnaby'sDad I agree. As regulars to Bonaire, i'm a shore diving addict. Best shore diving in the area (BHB obviously on the list)?

You’ll want to hit BHB. I missed that one unfortunately. I bit off more than I could chew and couldn’t work that stop into the trip. I’d recommend LBTS.

The nice thing about BHB and LBTS is that they’re in the vicinity of a wide variety of boat diving options.

My next trip down, I’ll likely do 3-4 days in/around LBTS and Pompano Beach and 2-3 days diving Venice Beach (shark teeth dives). You can dive off the beach or use a charter.

Do you have any suggestions on a preferred dive shop in the area for boat dives? Ive seen several online, but always nice to get referrals. We tend to shy away from 'cattle boats' if an option.

I'm a big fan of Pura Vida divers in Riviera beach, right next to BHB. My preferred dives are always deep deco dives, but BHB can't be beat. I did a 75 minute dive there this past year and the animal diversity was extraordinary. Mucking around at 12' watching all the critters was amazing. And, it's a possible option on days you get blown out by weather offshore.

I'm a big fan of Pura Vida divers in Riviera beach, right next to BHB. My preferred dives are always deep deco dives, but BHB can't be beat. I did a 75 minute dive there this past year and the animal diversity was extraordinary. Mucking around at 12' watching all the critters was amazing. And, it's a possible option on days you get blown out by weather offshore.
Thanks guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom