Predator, suitable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
About to pull the trigger on a Shearwater, change my mind?

Found a standard deal on a predator as a low cost replacement to the lost computers from when the charter went down on our family vacation.

New buttons and STAFT battery, just back from Shearwater.

Intended use:
-Fixed ppo2 CCR or multi cylinder OC
-30+ hours bottom time weekly in salt water in the winter.
-Loaner for new divers of various adaptive needs (~100 users per summer) often in heavy sediment with rough handling.

IMG_0342.jpg

(Dive computer strewn somewhere on the rock beach last week in a sheltered cove of the arctic ocean)

My concerns rest in the battery situation.

I read tissues get reset when I remove the battery. I'm generally doing significant deco 6/7 days without many dry days (interspersed with shallow cave mapping). I wouldn't want to change my dive schedule around this issue. As it stands my backup is tables which I am uncomfortable using over multiple days and a liquid vision x1 running vbm which I also have concerns about.

Another possible issue, it's going to cost a fortune in disposable SAFT battery or I'll eventually flood it constantly replacing lower capacity rechargeables. Any trusted brands currently turning out suitable cells?

Anything else I should be thinking about?
Cameron

Not really an answer to your question but your post has made me curious as to whether it would be possible to use jumpers and a parallel battery during a battery change to avoid clearing tissues. I usually just change the battery before a multi-day trip but your situation is different. If you shop around Saft batteries are not that expensive even in Canada.

Not really an answer to your question but your post has made me curious as to whether it would be possible to use jumpers and a parallel battery during a battery change to avoid clearing tissues. I usually just change the battery before a multi-day trip but your situation is different. If you shop around Saft batteries are not that expensive even in Canada.

I like how you think! Managed that on a bottom timer once. If you have a SAFT source handy, I think I'm in the market.

Cameron

Instead of the SAFT, use a straight 14500 Lithium rechargeable. Cost the same as an 18650, same charger and 2 will last you forever (one in, one charging)

On my Perdix, if I do the battery change at a normal pace, it asks me if I want to reset the tissues, I select no and carry on. I believe there is a time limit to how long it can retain without battery but I haven't reached it in a normal scenario yet.

The Predator may be different, maybe @tcoen can help out?

Instead of the SAFT, use a straight 14500 Lithium rechargeable. Cost the same as an 18650, same charger and 2 will last you forever (one in, one charging)

On my Perdix, if I do the battery change at a normal pace, it asks me if I want to reset the tissues, I select no and carry on. I believe there is a time limit to how long it can retain without battery but I haven't reached it in a normal scenario yet.

The Predator may be different, maybe @tcoen can help out?
I think the Predator is more power hungry than the Perdix due to the display. I have been told that if you are really quick you can change the battery on the Predator without losing tissues but I have not had any success with that and I thought I changed it pretty fast.

I think the Predator is more power hungry than the Perdix due to the display. I have been told that if you are really quick you can change the battery on the Predator without losing tissues but I have not had any success with that and I thought I changed it pretty fast.

make sure it is powered off when you switch the battery. I've gotten it where I can swap it over fast enough but you have to be REAL fast. As in new battery in one hand and as the old battery comes out the new one goes right in after it

Don't use the rechargeable. You can buy quality saft batteries and they'll likely last you 4 months of intense diving. Also, the Predator didn't come with Constant PPO2 mode, that was (if I remember correctly) about a 80 dollar upgrade/unlock.

What are you getting the predator for? I have a couple of petrels I could probably let go cheap. No battery concerns and has PPO2 mode out of the box.

Don't use the rechargeable.

Any particular reason? Cameron is in the sticks so deliveries etc are more challenging.

Any particular reason? Cameron is in the sticks so deliveries etc are more challenging.

One of his concerns was frequently opening the battery compartment. That rechargeable won't last as long as a SAFT, which will require more opening.

Back
Top Bottom