Predator Deco Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agility

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A brand new Predator owner here :)
only OC diving
I have read the manual and figured out what the other menu items do but
what does the menu item Gas On/Off in the Deco Setup do?

Thank you for your assistance

what does the menu item Gas On/Off in the Deco Setup do?

Hi Agility,

Originally in the Predator, the only way to turn a gas off was to clear it to zero (00/00).

We later added an option, that each gas has an on/off setting. This makes it easier to setup the Predator if you have a set of standard gases, but might not be carrying all of them on a dive. So that existing users wouldn't be forced into using the new on/off settings for each gas, this behavior became an option.

If the "Gas On/Off" setting is set to "Off", then the Predator behaves in the original way (gas must be cleared to 00/00 to turn off). If set to "On", then each gas can be turned on or off. For the newer Petrel product, we found that most divers wanted the on/off setting for each gas, so we removed the option to use both methods.

An important related note is that only gases that will actually be used on a dive should be turned on. The decompression calculations assume that all turned on gases will be used at appropriate depths. If a gas is turned on but never used, then deco predictions will be incorrect (although the final schedule will end up being correct, it is just predictions of future behavior like TTS that will be incorrect).

Also, if you are carrying a gas but don't intend to use it (e.g. a backup gas), then leave it turned off. It is easy to turn a gas on, even during a dive, as a gas is automatically turned on if selected as the active gas. Also, you can turn a gas on without selecting it during a dive by using the "Dive Setup->Define Gas" menu.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Thank you very much for the timely and thorough reply.
Maybe you could put this information into the next revision of the manual.
The 00/00 method is described but I could not find a reference to the gas on/off switch in either the English (2.3.3) nor the German (2.3) version

He probably bought a new old stock, or a used one. Folks are dumping the predator for the petrel, and they can be had for cheap.

I bought a used Predator in excellent shape.
I know it is overkill for my recreational diving, but I wanted a really well readable display for my ageing eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom