Predator and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just purchased a used Predator FFM and in the owners manual it says that it cannot be used with NITROX. Well it actually says no O2 above 23%. Does anyone know why that is, and is there any way to make it more O2 compatible?

Thanks
Phil

I just purchased a used Predator FFM and in the owners manual it says that it cannot be used with NITROX. Well it actually says no O2 above 23%. Does anyone know why that is, and is there any way to make it more O2 compatible?

Thanks
Phil

Phil, I would guess that their legal department is going with the concept that any elevated oxygen above 22% is a "high-oxygen" environment. Since they have done no testing with elevated oxygen, and don't wish to accept that additional product liability insurance cost associated with making equipment for that environment, they choose to make the exclusion. With the exception of the dive industry, most other industries (and government organizations) draw the line at "above 22%". I am quite familiar with these masks and I know of no differences from other regulators or masks that would prevent the use of Nitrox. Of course, I have also don't no testing. lol.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Ocean Reef puts 23% in their manual due to European regulations. The Predator and Space mask have standard o-rings and silicone grease which of course break down and become caustic with increased oxygen levels. The Raptor has christo-lube and viton o-rings and is better adapted to nitrox use but it is not O2 clean. Ocean Reef does have Viton kits for the Predator and Space masks (it is the same kit for the Raptor).
OSHA is going along with the 40% rule these days. This says that you can dive any piece of equipment without special markings, o-rings, grease or cleaning with mixtures up to 40% oxygen. This is how most "nitrox compatible" SCUBA equipment is on the shelf in the dive shop. It is up to you if you choose to do this. Being a nitrox instructor i would say get the viton kit and use christo-lube. If you are using mixes higher than 40% then O2 clean the mask and mark it as nitrox use only.

I have always been told that 40% and below no special o-rings are needed or Christo-lube. I do my own O2 cleaning and use Viton and Christo-lube on anything that contacts higher than 40% O2. I did not really see why they would have that exclusion in their manual but I did not think of the Lawyers (Thanks Phil). I am sure that is why they came out with a mask specifically for Nitrox

Thanks again for the quick responses...

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom