Precordial Catch Syndome and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matinee

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all!

I dive as a biological researcher, which involves a month of intensive diving per year (twice a day, dives usually of over 2 hours each). Every year, I remember that with diving, precordial catch syndrome seems to be aggravated.

Info on that here for those who don't know what it is (I guarantee at least one person will realize that's what the occasional chest pain that panics them is:
Precordial catch syndrome - Wikipedia
TIL that the sharp pain I've experienced since I was a young girl has a name, and not too much known about it: Precordial Catch Syndrome (PCS) : todayilearned)

So, what happens is that about a week into the season, it starts to occasionally occur during a dive, whereas in everyday life, it's only a few times a year thing (it generally decreases with age).

I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this or similar? It's not something that worries me as it is a condition I've had life-long that is not threatening, but it is curious to me that something about diving (and it seems particularly something about diving in the cold) seems to trigger it so much. Maybe something unusual about breathing in those conditions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom