Pre-Easter Monterey Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Went for a pre-Easter dive in Monterey with Ben_ca today. This was only my second dive trip to Monterey and was looking forward to it as I was testing out a long hose set-up. Arrived about 0800 at the Breakwater in Monterey and was surprised to find a lot of empty parking spots. The water was pretty calm with little to moderate waves. Slight drizzle during the first dive but pretty much remained cloudy the rest of the day.

First dive: Monterey Breakwater
Surface Temp: 59F Temp at Depth: 55F
Viz: 15-20 feet.
Max Depth: 41 feet Avg Depth: 21 feet
Dive Length: 41 minutes

Was wearing a 7mm fullsuit and a hooded vest. Wore 24 pounds of weight-20 on the weight belt and 4 on the cam bands. Dive was alright. Nothing unusual or spectacular. Saw some crabs and small fishes. My biggest problem on this dive was that I had too much weight and thus had problem with buoyancy throughout the dive. As a result, I hoovered air on this dive (when do I ever not hoover air :D ). Ben showed me how to do s-drills underwater and with my buoyancy problem, I was bouncing up and down during the exercise. I must admit though, it was nice to have that extra length on the hose. The exercise itself wasn't that hard, the hard part was maintaining buoyancy and trim while doing the exercise (which I did horribly).

After the first dive, did a little weight check and decided to take off 4 pounds off the weight belt.

Second dive: Metridium Fields
Surface Temp: 61F Temp at Depth: 55F
Viz: 20-25 feet
Max Depth: 53 feet Avg Depth: 36 feet
Dive Length: 60 minutes

Been dying to dive this site as I've heard so much about it. Did a surface swim up to a certain spot and dropped down. Had to do a little searching to find the site but it wasn't very long. Buoyancy was better on this dive. Ben was pointing at a distance and saw some big white glob. I didn't think too much of it. As we got closer, I realized that they were the metridiums. I couldn't believe it.....they were HUUUUUGE :shocked: . Prior to this, I always thought that they'd be small.... say soda can size. But man, these were huge, white, and beautiful. I was certainly cursing myself for not bringing out the camera on this trip. Hopped from one metridium site after another.....I couldn't get enough of it. It was also at this time that I saw my first cold water nudi (yellow in coloration)....well, Ben had to point it out to me as I was busy ogling the metridiums :D. Also noticed numerous rockfishes just hovering over the rocks. I swam(sp?) close to them and they didn't even move out of the way. They must have known that I didn't bring my camera with me :D . Started to get a little chilly so headed back and followed the pipe. Did some more s-drills before surfacing.

Overall, a great day for a dive thanks to Ben_ca's guidance and assistance. I liked the long hose set-up but need to dive more to get used to it. Will definitely go back and this time with a camera. Gots to take me some pics of those lovely metridiums.

midwestdvr:
Went for a pre-Easter dive in Monterey with Ben_ca today. This was only my second dive trip to Monterey and was looking forward to it as I was testing out a long hose set-up. Arrived about 0800 at the Breakwater in Monterey and was surprised to find a lot of empty parking spots. The water was pretty calm with little to moderate waves. Slight drizzle during the first dive but pretty much remained cloudy the rest of the day.

First dive: Monterey Breakwater
Surface Temp: 59F Temp at Depth: 55F
Viz: 15-20 feet.
Max Depth: 41 feet Avg Depth: 21 feet
Dive Length: 41 minutes

Was wearing a 7mm fullsuit and a hooded vest. Wore 24 pounds of weight-20 on the weight belt and 4 on the cam bands. Dive was alright. Nothing unusual or spectacular. Saw some crabs and small fishes. My biggest problem on this dive was that I had too much weight and thus had problem with buoyancy throughout the dive. As a result, I hoovered air on this dive (when do I ever not hoover air :D ). Ben showed me how to do s-drills underwater and with my buoyancy problem, I was bouncing up and down during the exercise. I must admit though, it was nice to have that extra length on the hose. The exercise itself wasn't that hard, the hard part was maintaining buoyancy and trim while doing the exercise (which I did horribly).

After the first dive, did a little weight check and decided to take off 4 pounds off the weight belt.

Second dive: Metridium Fields
Surface Temp: 61F Temp at Depth: 55F
Viz: 20-25 feet
Max Depth: 53 feet Avg Depth: 36 feet
Dive Length: 60 minutes

Been dying to dive this site as I've heard so much about it. Did a surface swim up to a certain spot and dropped down. Had to do a little searching to find the site but it wasn't very long. Buoyancy was better on this dive. Ben was pointing at a distance and saw some big white glob. I didn't think too much of it. As we got closer, I realized that they were the metridiums. I couldn't believe it.....they were HUUUUUGE :shocked: . Prior to this, I always thought that they'd be small.... say soda can size. But man, these were huge, white, and beautiful. I was certainly cursing myself for not bringing out the camera on this trip. Hopped from one metridium site after another.....I couldn't get enough of it. It was also at this time that I saw my first cold water nudi (yellow in coloration)....well, Ben had to point it out to me as I was busy ogling the metridiums :D. Also noticed numerous rockfishes just hovering over the rocks. I swam(sp?) close to them and they didn't even move out of the way. They must have known that I didn't bring my camera with me :D . Started to get a little chilly so headed back and followed the pipe. Did some more s-drills before surfacing.

Overall, a great day for a dive thanks to Ben_ca's guidance and assistance. I liked the long hose set-up but need to dive more to get used to it. Will definitely go back and this time with a camera. Gots to take me some pics of those lovely metridiums.
nice report and am glad you guys had a good time, wish i had come down, but i decided to be a lazy bum this weekend!!!! should have gone diving, wine-wine -wine

The empty parking lot is best explained by the holiday weekend -- most instructors can
read a calendar.

There are two species of metridium locally: Metridium farcimen formerly Metridium
giganteum (a better name), and Metridium senile. The former is fairly common in the
Monterey area and is generally what is referred to as "metridiums". The latter is
occasional in Monterey, except at one site off Lover's called White Wall. Senile is
a good deal smaller than a soda can.

Thanks for doing the write up... I was dead by the time I got home... Ab diving on Friday then Monterey on Saturdays wears you out...

We had a great dive. I knew you would get a kick out of the approach to the fields... I love it when you start seeing them from out of the gloom. Next time we'll go visit the sealions.

Check out Lake Monterey

Ben_ca:
Thanks for doing the write up... I was dead by the time I got home... Ab diving on Friday then Monterey on Saturdays wears you out...

We had a great dive. I knew you would get a kick out of the approach to the fields... I love it when you start seeing them from out of the gloom. Next time we'll go visit the sealions.

Check out Lake Monterey
nice picture ben, just rubb it in, i sat home and did nothing and i could have been diving. bad jim bad bad bad jim

jim ernst:
nice picture ben, just rubb it in, i sat home and did nothing and i could have been diving. bad jim bad bad bad jim

No, rubbing it in would be to post a picture showing all the parking spots open at 0830... Instead I'll just post simple picture of myself taken that morning (about 830) :D

View attachment 32463

scubajunkee:
Ben,

I like how you post pics in all your threads--you a photojournalist now?

When are you gonna post underwater shots?

-eR
hey speaking of underwater shots, you look at my PI shots yet, i put a page or two more up there, you know if you put your on the board we could all rate yours just for you!!!! lol, hey buddy how are you, i may make it to dive next weekend, you up for it if i can???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom