Pre-Dive Checklist | 10 Tips for Diving in Remote Areas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adelaar Cruises

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Pre-Dive-Check-List-Banner-840x200.jpg

Warning, some content may be complete rubbish, some of the healing effects may be all in my head! This information is based on my observations, good old common sense, and stuff I’ve learned along the way as a working dive professional in remote areas. Are you traveling to an exotic dive destination soon? I would like to pass along my short list of MUST DO’s to prevent possible issues and keep you in the water diving the entire trip, plus I’ve added a few additional tips just for the heck of it.

Don’t Let Current Ruin a Good Dive Vacation
So you’re in the planning stages and you hate current?! STOP right there. What I really hear is “I hate fighting current”! Many dive destinations have current, Indonesia included. Just because you may have had a hard time in current in the past doesn’t mean, with the right dive briefing and guide, you can’t enjoy it this time. That being said, besides learning to dive or “hide” in current properly and “going with the flow,” I would suggest looking at a tide chart for the destination and time you wish to go because tides are different throughout the month. To ensure that you are not diving during a huge tidal exchange, where large bodies of water have to move – creating strong current – look at a local tidal chart before you book. Here are a few indications of possibly strong currents:
  • Large tidal exchanges 1.5 – 3 meters +
  • New Moons and full Moons (especially new moons
  • Spring Tides (neap tides are usually o.k.)
Spring-Neap-Tides.jpg

Also, think about where you are going. Are you diving around small islands and in passages where these large tidal exchanges are magnified? Think of tides as seasons, do you take the time to look at and consider seasons when booking a holiday (any holiday)? Do you want to go on a tropical vacation during the rainy season? No, well the same thing applies with tides; if you don’t want strong current then check the tide tables! One thing to note; The fish love current, that’s where you’ll find them, at the head of the current. If you like a challenge and good reef action and watching fish predation, pick a time with a large tidal exchange, grab your reef hook and dive in!

Don’t Service Your Regulator
Actually, what I meant to say was…do you usually service your gear shortly before your yearly dive trip? Well DON’T! Service it in advance of a major dive trip and then use it at least twice before you come. Why? Because technicians want to return your regulator adjusted to give you the easiest breathe possible. Sometimes, they’ve over adjusted and you get free flow, and sometimes they’re too conservative and you get a really hard pull. Either way, if the service is not done properly, you’ll have a regulator you may not be able to use during your trip. So, unless you are staying at a resort or aboard a liveaboard that has a trained service technician you’ll have to use a rental. By testing at home before your trip (even if it’s in a pool) you’ll know if it’s been serviced properly and the way you like it.

Upset Stomach (a.k.a. Bali Belly, Divers’ Diarrhea)
Exotic destinations usually have exotic food. Many stomachs are not used to the spices and ingredients used in the local cuisine. Fear not! First, make sure you can make food requests where you are going and second, get some acidophilus pills and probiotics before you come. Start populating that belly at least 2 weeks with good bacteria before you get on the plane. Jeez, speaking of planes! Build up that immune system before you get in that steel tube with 300 strangers, carrying germs. I use Immune+ Energy C. Of course, speak to your doctor about any additional medications, they would recommend you take along.

Exercise Those Ears or They Will Punish You
As a diver you know equalizing your ears is important. But have you thought about how much extra work you are asking your eardrums to perform on a dive trip? Would you start jogging 5 miles a day after a 6-12 month hiatus or longer? Your muscles would be killing you! But that’s what you’re asking your ears to do on a dive trip. And don’t forget the plane, they have a lot of work to do there too. So what do you do? Start exercising those eardrums and eustachian tubes. How? You already know how, by gently equalizing the ears. Start doing it a week before you leave, a couple times a day to get them back in shape before you put them into shock diving 4 times a day for 7-12 days.

Could You Pick up a Few Items on My Shopping List?
Without a doubt, dehydration is one of the biggest problems I see on dive trips. So, take Oralit or some other type of rehydration packs, if you can’t find any get powdered Gatorade. Start drinking these the night before you’re scheduled to fly. Drink them regularly, especially on a tropical dive holiday. If you are offered fresh coconut juice, drink it, it’s nature's best electrolyte.

Make sure you bring Ibuprofen. Often times the eustachian tubes get a little inflamed from all that pressure and equalizing. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory that can help. Word of caution here, it is best to use the Ibuprofen at night so the pain relieving effects do not cause you to over-equalize. Of course, check with your doctor before taking any medications.
Make up a bottle of ear juice or buy swimmer’s ear drops. Indonesian waters, including the waters around Komodo, have tons of nutrients floating around in the water, these nutrients feed the reefs and soft corals. These little nutrients just loooove to find warm, wet and dark places to grow. With a drop in each ear after your dive, you’ll stop them before they cause a problem.

Don't miss tips 6-10! Due to space constraints, I cannot post all in this thread, you'll find My Blisters Have Blisters and more on our blog page.

I’ve tried to cover a few items I’ve found useful throughout the years. Of course, I am not a medical doctor and you should always consult one if you have any issues, but hopefully a few of these tips can help out.

If you have any additional ideas, please feel free to share, we’d love to add them to the list. Are you interested in traveling to a remote destination like Komodo, but unsure of when to visit? Check out our article Weather or Not to Go to Komodo.

Last edited:
As a new diver this is the kind of info I look for on here!!!! Great read!!!!!! A few things being a rookie I never thought about!!!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving L8NLIFE!

Thank you for your kind comment. The world is your ocean, get wet as often as you can and NJOYUW!

Yes, tides can cause currents. But so can several other things, so absence of large tides does not mean absence of large currents.

A good list...

Agree on tides to.

Other things I bring.

A multi way extension lead - often there is only 1 outlet or you only have 1 adapter. Sometime the power outlet is in a silly location. So I always carry one of these in my luggage (business and holidays)

I always take cold and flu tablets, diarrhea pills (not that I generally use them) sinus spray and tablets. All are a just in case.

A plastic thermal drinking flask - You can mix up your re-hydration fluid and keep it in your flask somewhere convenient

I use an electronic log, but I take a note book and pen to make notes of sites and stuff for use later.

Excellent observations, especially freshly serviced kit.

Adding to the idea: I'd recommend bringing at least doubles of everything, if it's a truely remote location. The old adage one is none and two is one holds true. Don't let a blown o-ring or a ripped dry suit ruin a dive.

Enjoy the edges of the globe!
Cameron

...sinus spray and tablets. All are a just in case.
I always get sick after long haul flights, But I just had my first flight were I didn't get sick! I have to contribute it to sinus spray & gel. I used NeilMed NasoSpray for dry noses and Ayr Saline Nasal Gel during the flights and didn't get the dreaded cold.

The old adage one is none and two is one holds true.
Never heard that one before, but love it! Couldn't agree more.

Thanks divers, I've got a few to add to the list.

Back
Top Bottom