Pre-Assembled BP/W ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Curious, if BP/W manufacturers considered offering their BP/W pre-assembled in 3 sizes with adjustable harness, adjustable crotch strap, weight pockets, accessory pockets all pre-assembled as options. Pre-assembly could be done by the mfr or the vendor selling for an additional price.

The 3 sizes would have pre-cut and sealed webbing. With the adjustable harness and crotch strap, getting a good fit should be possible without having to cut the webbing again.

If the manufacturer properly marketed this option, would this make a BP/W more attractive for the diver who only considered a standard jacket or back inflate BCD ? I think many divers prefer an off the rack BCD and do not want to bother with cutting and sealing webbing, assembling, etc..

Last edited:
I know of 2 companies that do this already - Hollis HTS and Dive Rite Transpac off the top of my head. Besides those two which are specifically marketed as pre-assembled with size options, almost every pre-assembled harness can be adjusted up or down a full size once you buy it. Deep Outdoors, Sopras Sub, and Palantic all sell pre-assembled models (quick Ebay search) but they are not what I would call premium quality or attractive towards technical divers the way Hollis and Dive Rite are.

For those that are not a tech divers yet still like the back inflation and modularity of the harness, backplate, and wing combinations, there are many options to choose from.

I don't consider the Transpac a BP/W because the harness is sewn onto the soft backplate. IMHO, it is a modular back inflate BCD. It does not have the full modularity of a BP/W, but is close.

Curious how the Transpac sells vs the Transplate harness and BP. Given the 2 options, Diverite probably feels a pre-assembled Transplate is not worth the effort ?

So much lively debate on BP/W vs. off the rack BCD. I think the full modular nature that so many of us BP/W owners love, is a negative for some because it has a DIY amateur vibe vs a fully factory assembled and manufactured BCD.

Last edited:
A former shop I worked at offered an Oxycheq package in 3 sizes and corresponding colors, we also used them as our student/rental fleets. S/M, L/XL, XXL.

A former shop I worked at offered an Oxycheq package in 3 sizes and corresponding colors, we also used them as our student/rental fleets. S/M, L/XL, XXL.

Was it pre-assembled ? Did it sell well ?

Part of getting into Tech is developing a certain 'intimacy' with your gear. If you want a back plate with none of the hassles go with one of the hybrids like Zeagle's Express Tech.

Was it pre-assembled ? Did it sell well ?
Yes, pre assembled and sold well. We used popular colors, blue/red/black. Although we did offer custom colors for an upcharge, most were happy with the prepackaged rigs.

Curious, if BP/W manufacturers considered offering their BP/W pre-assembled in 3 sizes with adjustable harness, adjustable crotch strap, weight pockets, accessory pockets all pre-assembled as options. Pre-assembly could be done by the mfr or the vendor selling for an additional price.

The 3 sizes would have pre-cut and sealed webbing. With the adjustable harness and crotch strap, getting a good fit should be possible without having to cut the webbing again.

If the manufacturer properly marketed this option, would this make a BP/W more attractive for the diver who only considered a standard jacket or back inflate BCD ? I think many divers prefer an off the rack BCD and do not want to bother with cutting and sealing webbing, assembling, etc..
Here is one I am looking at buying:
http://www.xdeep.eu/lightweight-traveler-scuba-bcd-ghost-bc-system-pr-51.html
Also looking at Zeagle Express Tech

Part of getting into Tech is developing a certain 'intimacy' with your gear. If you want a back plate with none of the hassles go with one of the hybrids like Zeagle's Express Tech.
I dive recreational only, no interest in Tech, but I do use a BP/W and 1 piece harness. I am a DIY type and like to tinker with my gear in all my hobbies, not just scuba.

So many recreational only divers asking about BCD get strongly driven towards BP/W by scubaboard members. I like your suggestion of going hybrid or purchasing from a shop that will pre-assemble for those who are hesitant about assembling themselves and have no desire to go Tech.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom