Pre 95 Oceanic Balanced Piston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shellback

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an older Oceanic Pre '95 balanced (According to support at Oceanic) and would like to find out what the O-Ring sizes are for this Reg. any help would be appreciated. I have an older one that is similar to this one but there are some differences. Yoke on this pre 95 is labeled "4000 PSI".

Thanks

Mike Oceanic Reg.jpg

I don't know the sizes but I believe this 1st stage can be serviced with Scubapro MK5 parts.....available from Vintage Double Hose.

Thanks Fishpie and Awap for your responses. Can't remember exactly what the differences are but I remembered using the sizes for the SP MkV for my other Oceanic piston reg and all was great. This time this pre 95 Oceanic at least the piston stem is different as the bullet used on other one will not fit into the stem. I guess I am going to have to take apart the other reg and make some measurements.

Mike

It sure looks like a MK5 except for the yoke, and the seat retainer looks a little different but it's hard to tell from that photo.

I have rebuilt one of the oceanic mk5 clones and the biggest difference I saw was that the turret connection seems a bit beefier. The boss that mates with the ambient chamber is larger and uses a -14 oring instead of a -12. The turret retainer bolt also looked stronger (mk10 style IIRC) but I cannot remember if it was brass or steel. It's just too bad they didn't put a 5th port on it. Sp patent must not have expired yet. Other than the turret, I believe the rest of the orings were the same. I'm positive I used a -10 for the piston stem.The yoke is a bit strange as it is stamped 4000 but is the exact same dimensions as the middle weight sp yoke that was stamped 3000 but later downgraded to 2250 or so. The oceanic does have a larger diameter yoke screw though.

I think Oceanic uses the o-ring size in their part numbers. I.g. the piston head o-ring for a PX2 is Oceanic part number 2.022 which I would decipher as a -022

Last edited by a moderator:
I went ahead and got it all put together but what I did was to compare the O ring sizes with the ones that I removed and they seemed to be consistent with the SP MKV sizes. I did however notice that the Piston stem seemed to be a little beefier than my other Oceanic BP reg as the bullet that I used for that one had to be turned down to fit this Pre 95 (walls thicker). Now just need to find a supplier for the plastic shims to dial in the IP, right now it reads a little above 140 PSI.

Mike

Hi Mike, if you are referring to the piston spring shims, then just take one out. While 140 psi is on the high side-it is still acceptable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom