pre '88 al80 hydro in Ohio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flashover604

Reaction score
Hi all... I was wondering if any of you know of a LDS in Ohio that is still inspecting and hydroing the pre '88 luxfer al80's. I've got one that I don't want to turn into a big paper weight, and the shops in Columbus won't hydro it anymore. (However they WILL sell me a brand spankin' new one for $189.) Nice of 'em... Thanks in advance...

flashover604:
Hi all... I was wondering if any of you know of a LDS in Ohio that is still inspecting and hydroing the pre '88 luxfer al80's. I've got one that I don't want to turn into a big paper weight, and the shops in Columbus won't hydro it anymore. (However they WILL sell me a brand spankin' new one for $189.) Nice of 'em... Thanks in advance...
You may need to track down a hydro facility and deal with them directly instead of going through a LDS. The hydro facility will do a visual and the hydro. If the tank passes then you are set. If it fails either the visual or hydro then you will have a paperweight and the opprotunity to buy a new tank.

Thanks for the reply. I guess this brings me to question two. Anyone know of a hydroing facility in or near ohio? This is one "opportunity" I could live without. I'm to the point now that the wifey's starting to notice how much my "hobby" is starting to cost. "I thought you had a tank already?" "Well, I do, it's just that..."

Around here, the same place that does fire extingushers do the scuba tanks, they pickup and deliver them to the LDS. Check with your local fire department. They should know where to get fire extingushers done and where they get their air pack tanks hydroed. I wish shops would stop using this bogus argument to sell tanks.

Same problem. I found a fire extinguisher company that did mine with no quistions, cheaper than the LDS, they both passed and the fill was less by $2.50 a tank. look in the phone book and see if there's one near you. Mine was within 6 miles of me and I never knew it.

flashover604:

You can call us at 614-638-0432.

We provide hydrostatic retest, visual inspection, eddy current inspection, air/nitrox/trimix fills and more.

Thanks,
Chris
COVCI

Thanks Chris, I'll be in touch quickly. Talk about people helping people. Thanks also for the fire extinguisher idea, I hadn't thought about them.

Soda distributors, welding gas supply companies, and medical O2 supplies comprise the majority of hydro test business. So you can also check with the local coke or pepsi distributor or medical O2 company and ask where they send their tanks. Welding gas companies may not be as forthcoming as some are not big fans of customer owned tanks anyway and/or prefer to rent or sell new tanks to their customers.

I've often suggested going directly to a hydro shop when one has a lot of tanks, or when a good dive shop is not handy, but recently I've begun to have some reservations about how wise this is with old bad alloy aluminum tanks.

The problem is, many hydro shop employees have inadequate or only informal training. While the hydro is supposed to include a visual, this is often just a quick peek inside to look for obvious problems rather than a full visual inspection to scuba standards. I was surprised last fall, when I took a couple old alu tanks to our local hydro shop, to find that they had never heard of the neck cracking problem, and were doing nothing to inspect for neck cracks!

This doesn't mean one shouldn't take 6351 tanks directly to a hydro shop, just that if one does, one should have clear understanding of whether the shop is aware of the problem, and whether they will be checking for it. If they aren't, one should be sure after they hydro to either inspect the tanks oneself, if one is qualified to do so, or take them to a good diveshop for a proper visual.

This is, I should make clear, mostly a problem with small hydro shops that do very little scuba business.

If it were me - I toss the tank and buy a newer for $100 - those 6351 are scary - with al tanks being so cheap I'd stop using it.

Back
Top Bottom