Practical Water Electric Submersible for Underwater Activities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Popgun Pete

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The title is what the seller calls it on the GearBest website. As I had looked over their dive gear offerings earlier this was offered up as “you may be interested in this”. As it happens I am not, but thought that I would pass it on here as the price seems low, which may be a match for everything else for that matter.

https://www.gearbest.com/diving/pp_...ign=GB_GB_GB_daily_1002_190709_1562683271_t22

https://des.gbtcdn.com/uploads/pdm-desc-pic/Electronic/image/2019/01/28/20190128111041_37687.jpg

Hmm, cleared my cookies, but for some reason I get a frozen page, try again, log out and come back and there are now two! And now there are three! WTF!
All good, I deleted the extras. Sometimes happens with a over-zealous click or an odd page refresh.

Unfortunately a piece of junk. You will have more fun donating the 262,98 to a homeless panhandler downtown, instead of buying something that will soon be in a landfill.

Michael

Reactions: OTF
Unfortunately a piece of junk. You will have more fun donating the 262,98 to a homeless panhandler downtown, instead of buying something that will soon be in a landfill.

Michael
Any supportive evidence? I don’t necessarily disagree as often the Chinese are pumping out clones, and even clones of each other's clones, but someone who may be contemplating a DPV may want a bit more to go on. Leaks, flimsy construction or inadequate performance and range would be of interest as to why it merits being referred to as junk.

Buddy bought one and I happily swam alongside him as he was using it. At 30M it flooded. 1 use and slower than a diver swimming normally while wearing doubles without stages.
That's why I say that the company should dump it in landfills, instead of you paying for the honor of doing it for them.
This is the modern equivilant of being accosted on the street of a tourist town and having someone try to sell you a "50g gold bracelet marked 585" for only $300.

Michael

My only experience of a DPV was a “Tekna” in red with a light in the front which seemed pretty cool when it was released and bar some orange long torpedo gadgets from “Farallon” was all that was around. A few years later there was a rejig of the Tekna from Apollo with a different handgrip position that became available, but these were pretty expensive and heavy units. There may also have been a Dacor in black of a similar ilk built around the same core. All this is from distant memory as I have not checked that scene in years.

My only experience of a DPV was a “Tekna” in red with a light in the front which seemed pretty cool when it was released and bar some orange long torpedo gadgets from “Farallon” was all that was around. A few years later there was a rejig of the Tekna from Apollo with a different handgrip position that became available, but these were pretty expensive and heavy units. There may also have been a Dacor in black of a similar ilk built around the same core. All this is from distant memory as I have not checked that scene in years.

All of them were used, after having the motors rewound, in Gavin scooters and the many Gavin/Silent Submersion clones. Back in the lead acid/LiFePO4 era they were THE scooter used for almost all cave exploration in caves big enough to allow the use of scooters (WAKULLA). Still have 3 Gavin clones with code 80 tubes, rewound motors and 51Ah LiFePO4 batteries - heavy, but work much better than stock Gavins at depths where Gavins break.

Michael

Buddy bought one and I happily swam alongside him as he was using it. At 30M it flooded. 1 use and slower than a diver swimming normally while wearing doubles without stages.
That's why I say that the company should dump it in landfills, instead of you paying for the honor of doing it for them.
This is the modern equivilant of being accosted on the street of a tourist town and having someone try to sell you a "50g gold bracelet marked 585" for only $300.

Michael
Those are the Seadoo scooters, really designed for reef bimbling by OW divers. I have played with one and it's quite fun, but it is what it is, a rec diving toy. It will never compare to a proper tech DPV. Its also 250 USD vs 2500 USD so there's that....

Remember reading about the Rebikoff "Pegasus" when I first started diving, it was not exactly portable equipment. "Skin Diver" did a review of his work and there was a photo of a young woman riding/flying through the water on one of these exotic machines. Found this photo some years ago as there used to be a Rebikoff website acting as an archive.

Pegasus-b.jpg

Rebikoff diagram.jpg

Reactions: OTF

Back
Top Bottom